Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

What flavor wood chips when I bake a pizza?

Looking to bake another pizza but want to ad a smoke flavor from chips. Any suggestions?
·

Comments

• LitLit Posts: 3,272
    The wood chips or chunks will just burn at pizza cooking temps.
    ·
  • whatever wood is generally used to smoke the cheese on it.  I would start with apple then get more aggressive if you like that.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    I agree with Lit.  Might be the one cook where you can just burn pure wood - never tried it, but that's how pizza ovens work.

·
  • i've put whole softball sized pieces of green peach wood in the egg and never even hinted at a smoke flavor, at 700 degrees dome the coals are probably burning upwards of 1000....not a chance even for a fresh cut piece to smoke long.
    ·
  • The natural woodfire smoke from the lump is about all you are gonna get. The egg is too hot to get that traditional slow lingering smoke. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,390
    not sure i would want smoke on the bread, but i would be all over smoking tomatoes for the sauce
    ·
  • yep...get smoke flavor from the toppings- smoked mozz or gouda, bacon, tomatoes...
    ·
  • StoaterStoater Posts: 292
    Lit said:
    The wood chips or chunks will just burn at pizza cooking temps.
    Stick the chips on your stone, I have accidentally spilled wood chips on the grate when using a plate setter and they have smoked away quite nicely.  Don't use wood chips if your going to reheat the pizza the next day as it will taste too smokey, in my opinion.
    ·
  • At pizza cooking temps you will not get any smoke flavor.  It's not a brisket.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·