Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Safety question

Options
I'll spare you the details, but long story short I messed up a picnic pork roast.   Apparently flame went out (or I didn't put in enough coal) but as it is now, the roast is sitting on my egg with an internal temp of 114.  It put it on last night at midnight, flame went out sometime today. So it's been 16 hours. I realize that this roast may be too far gone to eat, but if I cook it and get it back to an internal temp of 200(ish) would it be safe to eat? Thanks all...

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Options
    My opinion - if you're going to finish cooking it to pull temp, it should be fine.  I'd cook it and I'd eat it. 

Now, what's going to happen is you're going to get a bunch of posts from people that will disagree with me and tell you you're better safe than sorry and another bunch that will agree - we lived without refrigeration for a million years, etc. 

You'll be so confused and paranoid after people paste links to food borne diseases that you're probably better off just chucking it right now.
    I agree with Nola. Here is an excellent web site that may persuade you. It has great info.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Is the internal temp you refer to the meat or the egg? You are concerned with the external temp for bacterial growth. That is if it is a whole roast, different story if it has beed boned, rolled and tied.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    FlashkaBob - that is a very good link - I read the whole thing. 

My only disagreements with meathead are mostly based on my sous vide study.  Salmonella pasteurization is at much lower temps than the poultry guidelines.  e coli pasteurization is about the same. It's a time/temp scale that starts around 131F.   The verotoxin and shinga-like toxins from stuff like O157:H7 don't degrade until temps off the scale (100C) - fortunately it's extremely rare to get sick just from the toxin - the bacteria is long dead with almost all cooking.  Ingesting the bacteria live so they can make more of that stuff is what happens like the German vegetable incident.  Creutzfeldt-jakob disease (mad cow) is totally immune to cooking, period.  You're screwed if you get that, but you might not go crazy and show symptoms for a decade or more.
    Options
    Make sure you all speak his language!

Gersh gurndy morn-dee burn-dee, burn-dee, flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip.

That should solve it.

Meep Meep.