Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disposable Drip Pans

When you do something that requires a drip pan, what do you use? Disposable aluminum drip pan or 9x13 lined with foil? For those that use disposable ones, where do you get them? Every drip pan they sell at my local Kroger is too tall to fit between the plate setter (legs up) and the grill rack. I measured from the rack to the plate setter and it's about 2.5". 99% of all disposable pans I've seen are over 3". I finally found one that was 2 5/8" but it's too wide! Am I missing something? How do you guys use disposable aluminum pans with your plate setter and get it to fit?

Or should I just line a 9x13 with foil and not mess with it?

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I buy them in bulk from the Costco business outlet. They are slightly to tall but I just squish them down a bit. I fit 2 side by side on the XL.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    All my local grocery stores sell aluminum pans an inch to 2 inches high. Cake pans, broiler pans, lasagna pans all fit. I can fit them raised on the green feet to prevent burning. No Krogers here so not sure what they carry. Around the holidays there are a lot of turkey pans out there which are higher. Look in the foil isle and not the holiday end displays.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have an institutional roll of heavy duty aluminum foil.  I double up a couple of sheets, bend the edges up and voila - drip pan.  Then I chuck it when I'm done.  I can make it any size I need.  And it's cheap.
  • Weber drip pans also fit, they are more expensive, but they're convenient as I sell them in the store.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    used to use the 9x13 cake pans from walmart.  bought 1/2 sized steam pans at costco like 30 of them for under 10 $ i used them for roasting veggies too.  i don't like dishes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Costco, BJ's, SAMs is definitely a good way to go.  I think they are called 1/2 steam table pans that I get.  They are way cheaper than getting them at the grocery store.  I think they come out to like $.35 per pan. 

Like Nola- I often just use foil and just make a drip pan. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I buy disposable pizza pans at the grocery store come in packs of 3 and fit right inside the legs of the plate setter, great for cooks like wings or ABT's but not for butts. I use taller 1/2 steamer pans from SAM's club for those
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I also use tinfoil pizza pans that I buy from the Dollar Store. You get 2 for about $1.50. I have never had a problem with them overflowing. I just leave it in until it is cold and then remove and throw it out.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I have a 9 x 12 cookie sheet that I have dedicated to the Egg.  I put HD aluminum foil on it and set it in the platesetter, legs up.  Fits perfectly, and easy cleanup.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    That reminds me, I left the drip pan in from Saturday's pork butt...
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    2" high disposable from local grocery store.  But, always rinsed and recycled.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I use a 15-inch round cake pan lined with HD foil. I often leave the same lining on for several cooks if they aren't greasy. I felt uneasy using disposable.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Sounds like I need to look elsewhere besides Kroger. I think everything I was looking at was geared more for turkeys - therefore, taller. And around $3-4 each! I actually used one yesterday to cook a turkey but not with the turkey in the pan. I had it below, with the turkey directly on the grill. Had to bend it on the top, the sides, everywhere. Unfortunately, we don't have a Sam's or Costco in town. I'll look at Wally world.
  • jlsm said:
    I use a 15-inch round cake pan lined with HD foil. I often leave the same lining on for several cooks if they aren't greasy. I felt uneasy using disposable.

+1

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Depending on the size of your plate setter, get a dollar store pizza pan or cake pan like @jlsm said, line it with foil and it sits inside the setter legs but does not block air flow. Easy clean-up and the pans are maybe $2. For my medium I use a 12" pizza pan, for a large maybe a 14" or 15" would be the one. 

I used to make/form a drip pan out of heavy foil a la Nola, but found wrapping a pan was easier and if after the cook there is anything in it, much easier to get out without spilling it all over yourself or the egg, not that I've ever done that.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    I use a 9 x 13 glass (pyrex) pan, lined with aluminum foil for easy clean up. 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • nolaegghead
    Depending on the size of your plate setter, get a dollar store pizza pan or cake pan like @jlsm said, line it with foil and it sits inside the setter legs but does not block air flow. Easy clean-up and the pans are maybe $2. For my medium I use a 12" pizza pan, for a large maybe a 14" or 15" would be the one. 

I used to make/form a drip pan out of heavy foil a la Nola, but found wrapping a pan was easier and if after the cook there is anything in it, much easier to get out without spilling it all over yourself or the egg, not that I've ever done that.....
    I have a roaster setup for butts.  Haha...I did have a load of butt spooge bust outta a ghetto foil pan.  Lesson learned.  The foil pans work for the less messy stuff.
    At work they use the premade lasagne and put it into hotel pans. I just wash and use those so I never have to buy. I am looking to find a more permanent stable fixture that I can just wash and reuse like a baking sheet or something of the sort. The lasagne pans are not the stiffest things.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hondabbq said:
    At work they use the premade lasagne and put it into hotel pans. I just wash and use those so I never have to buy. I am looking to find a more permanent stable fixture that I can just wash and reuse like a baking sheet or something of the sort. The lasagne pans are not the stiffest things.
    Just get a cheap glass pie pan like Pyrex or a cheap metal one from wherever. The Pyrex can go right in the dishwasher and you don't need foil. The metals ones could as well, but they may contain coatings or cheaper metals that can flake off or rust, respectively. Probably an investment of $10-20 that you even use to bake with on the egg and not get yelled out for using the "inside tools". 
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Found some shorter ones that work perfectly here at the local 99 cent store.  They weren't very expensive either. They were....oh yeh, 99 cents.

Living Large and XL

• I either use a spacer on the PS or put the pan on the grid and use a v rack. Fits perfectly in the pan and Briskets and butts (2 butts) fit on the rack perfectly.

Spacer:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Grid:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I buy large cheap non stick frying pans or rondelles and cut the handles off. That way if I want to use drippings they are salvageable. Probably get fifty or sixty uses out of them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• All about the Dollar store. Buy about 20 at a time for next to nothing.
  • nolaegghead
    If Miss B happens to go to the dollar store and buy stuff, I'll open up the bags and pick up something and ask "How much was this?"  A: "Ah dollah".  "How much was this?"  A: "Ah dollah".  "How much was this?"  A: "Ah dollah".  "How much was this?"  A: "Ah dollah".

Good entertainment for about 60 seconds, never fails.
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    For ribs, I use the oval frame sold by Ceramic Grill Store... Put a layer of HDAF over the frame and you have an instant disposable pan... Goes nearly the entire width of the Egg but allows plenty of room for the smoke to go around the sides and over the meat.  I use it with the Adjustable Rig and the oval grids and stone from CGS.  
  • I found a nice stainless tray in a yard sale for $1.00.  It fits the Platesetter perfectly and I cover it with foil.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!