Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spin......what about deep dish pizza, (ala Pizzaria Uno)?

Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have you or anyone tried deep dish pizza in the egg?

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    deep7.jpg
    <p />Stuart,
    I tried it a couple times. No real luck - not what I call deep dish anyway. I did make a nice super thick crust pizza but not the crust I wanted. I may need lots more grease in the skillet - not sure. [p]Fritz tried and had some luck with doing pizza in a ceramic dish - maybe he will jump in here.[p]There are pics unde PIZZA on my web site.[p]Tim

[ul][li] -- Tim's BGE Cookbook --[/ul]
  • Tanker Tim
    Tanker Tim Posts: 68
    Stuart,[p]I've done a couple of deep dish pizzers, always after the regular ones are taken care of. This one sat in the egg for about 25 minutes the temp started out around 500 and towards the end was down around 400 or so. The deep dish is from Pampered Chef and works well. [p]Good luck,[p]TT[p]soon to be "The Benelux Big Green Egger"
  • Tanker Tim
    Tanker Tim Posts: 68
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Stuart,[p]I've done a couple of deep dish pizzers, always after the regular ones are taken care of. This one sat in the egg for about 25 minutes the temp started out around 500 and towards the end was down around 400 or so. The deep dish is from Pampered Chef and works well. [p]Good luck,[p]TT[p]soon to be "The Benelux Big Green Egger"
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Stuart,[p]I've tried a few with some success. I just obtained a ceramic pan and will keep trying. A few people here have reported great success.[p]Spin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Stuart, Yep..works great. I use a deep dish ceramic pizza dish sold by Younkers, Inc. and made by Sassafras Enterprises in Evanstone, Illinois. Number 3615 imbedded on the bottom.
    That and a plate sitter or a pizza stone on 2 or three bricks on edge is all thats required...plus dough and sauce and your other morsels..:-)
    10" wide by 1.25 inches deep....I am sure any deep dish pizza pan would work also.
    Good luck..C~W[p]

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    pizza124.jpg
    <p />Stuart,[p]As Tim said, we have had some success with deep dish.[p]We use a ceramic dish, double the dough for a thin crust pizza. We ccok it on a plate setter at about 500* for close to twenty minutes. Very good.[p]Fritz
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Fritz, nicely done!

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Stuart,[p]Yes, with very good sucess. I do not use a ceramic dish as many do, but have used a cast iron pan. It will take much longer if you use ceramic or cast iron for the pan. I use a "Bakalon" aluminum pan on a plate setter-pizza stone setup. We like a fried bottom on a deep dish pizza, so there is a very liberal coating of Crisco in the bottom. The dough recipe that you normally use will probably do, but make it a little wetter than usual. Since it is thicker, having the toppings room temperature will help.[p]Z