Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thermapen vs. instant read thermo

I have seen many people rave about the thermapens. I have a $20 CDN instant read thermometer that works great from my experience. What are the benefits to the thermapen?

Thanks,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    My Thermapen is a very "slow" instant read.  It will go up 20 degrees, like 2/10 at a time.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Basically it is just faster.  It will give you a pretty accurate reading in around 2 seconds.  The cheapo ($10-$12 grocery store models) take well over 10 seconds to give you an accurate reading.  If you found one you are happy with for $20 then it may not be worth the extra $$ to upgrade. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have had many thermos over the years, and I was quite happy with my Taylors until I got a  Thermapen.

It's much faster....which is nice when you have the dome up on the egg and don't want it to:

1 - Cool off cause you're cooking hot...or:
    2 - Add a bunch of air to a low fire, causing the egg to heat up.

The Thermapen is also  more accurate....and the larger display is easier to read.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    WRT the thermopen-I changed my display to *F when I got it-I can't imagine being concerned by 1/10*F (or *C) for that matter.  Just a slower pace of life...or slower reaction time or .....
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I'm in same situation Bama
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thermopen be accurate.  NIST traceable calibration.
    I'm not familiar with the "CDN", but I do/did have four other "instant-read" thermo's that didn't work well at all; the Thermapen also has a much thinner probe which doesn't release as much juice once withdrawn.
    But, it's expensive.  If you're happy with your CDN stick with it!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited December 2012
    I appreciate the input guys. I do like the idea of the probe being smaller as you say Botch. Why does every dang thing that we use with these Eggs have to be so expensive?

BTW, just ordered a BBQ Guru. Merry Christmas to me!!
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Yah, I think I might pick up a cheaper hobby. Like collecting rocks or something. 

Not nice rocks, but rather gravel and stuff...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Then you'll think, "Man, that gravel would look real cool in a gold plated gravel bin!" 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Ya can't take it with you....
    Then you need a nice truck to haul the gravel... It's all just a slippery slope...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Y'all are funny
    Boom
  • q2-450 CDN is about $20 and is great, it reads in about 4-5 seconds. The tip is almost as small as the Thermapen. The 450 is even faster than the $80 CDN Thermocouple "Thermapen" wanna be, I ordered one and returned it. 

My son has a 450 so I have had first hand experience. With a steak down on the low grid searing away, every second counts. He eyes my Thermapen every time he is over, I have to pat him down before he leaves. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • When I used to drive a real heap and visit my folks, my Dad would "pat me down" for tools. He ended up buying me tools and then said to leave his alone or else. Ahhh, the threats, good times!
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    I used to drive my dad nuts - I used his tools more than he did.  He had a peg-board, of course, and I didn't always put them back.  I hate peg-boards....