Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Prime Rib

Hey guys, and girls? I just got a BGE cooked some ribs and chicken. Since christmas is coming up and i usually cook a prime rib on a smoaker i decided to cook this years on the BGE. Is there a good recipe or how to out there for the BGE?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    r270ba said:
    That's basically how I do it except I only use salt and pepper.
    Not to overtake the thread here but @nolaegghead do you make your own au jus? 
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    I usually don't get much drippings from cooking.  I'll get some good stuff when carving.  I'll mix whatever I do get with some beef consomme.   Consomme is a pain to make, so I cheat.  I've been known to use beef base (R belong to us).
    That would work.  You can also cook the steak more in au jus.

Here is my recipe...I have been doing this for a few years...

Prime rib<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Take prime rib roast out of the fridge 1 hour before cooking…

Hopefully the bones will be cut away from the meat and then retied. If so, untie the string and season entire roast with seasonings (see below) and retie. If not, slice the bones away from the meat, season and then retie…..

When you are ready to begin cooking:

Combine spices below & add ½ tbls EVOO to the spices and mix all together making a paste. Generously rub spice/EVOO mixture into/onto the meat including the rib bone area.

1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper

½ tsp Sea or kosher salt

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp onion powder

½ tsp dried thyme

½ tsp dried rosemary

Heat BGE to 325-350 direct. Put the roast direct on the BGE  meat side down & cook (sear) for 2-3 minutes per side…rotate so all sides get browned…10-12 minutes total

Pull roast & cover for a few minutes…in the meanwhile, insert platesetter into the BGE…place a drip pan on the platsetter…put aluminum foil balls under the drip pan to get the pan off of the platesetter so juice will not burn. Let BGE get back to 325…

Place roast (fat side up) on a rack in the drip pan with sliced onions & mushrooms & 1 can of beef broth & 1/2 can of water in the bottom of the pan…baste roast with juice about every 30 minutes.  

Cook until roast is 125 – 130 (medium rare or medium) internal temp. Probably 2-2 ½ hours…

Remove roast and cover completely with HDAF with foil for 15-20 minutes. Take the juice and strain out the vegys…use juice to put on the roast when sliced.. serve vegys on the side…

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited December 2012
    I usually don't get much drippings from cooking.  I'll get some good stuff when carving.  I'll mix whatever I do get with some beef consomme.   Consomme is a pain to make, so I cheat.  I've been known to use beef base (R belong to us).
    Somebody set up us the consomme.(Gotta mispronounce it "murican-style")

• I ALWAYS do Dr. BBQ's recipe.  It's fantastic.

Here's what I did following his directions.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491

For the au jus I go to the local restaurant and buy their au jus.  It's pretty good and then I add a little more spices and everyone is happy. 
    ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Thanks Vidalia1. Followed your advice and got this:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    The wife was very happy :D
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45
    So what is a typical time per pound at 300 temp ?
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    muttin said:

So what is a typical time per pound at 300 temp ?

Mine was a little less than 3lbs (just the 2 of us) and it took around 80-90min.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Lowflyer I am glad it turned out great for you...
  • Cozmo
    Cozmo Posts: 20
    I'm getting hungry from the photos in this thread. Just picked up a 10 pound bone in prime rib yesterday. Can't wait.
  • I've cooked them many different ways - and you'll find many posts here suggesting different approaches....  Sear at the front and cook at 325-350/no sear/low and slow with sear in the rear.  I think any approach will give you a wonderful roast on the egg assuming you start with a good product and don't overcook.

But I'm now in the low and slow/sear in the rear camp.  Not eggspecific (and may be way more information than you want), but I think you can learn a lot from this guy's site....

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

• Also did my first standing rib roast today. 6.6 lbs. I think it was select, but it still came out great. I am now firmly 1000% in the low and slow point of view with a reverse sear. Timing was spot on at 25 min per lb, but I pushed it just a bit and cooked about 260-270. Pulled it about 120 and rested while the egg came up to temperature. Reverse sear at 550, but I think that is a bit too high. I'll try 500 next time. No photos - everybody wanted to eat RIGHT NOW.

Paste rub with rosemary, Kosher salt, and black pepper, all smashed together in a mortar and pestle, then lots of lots of pressed garlic. 2 Tbs softened butter (ran out of EVOO). I agree with nolaegghead, not much drippings when you do low and slow.
    Some of the family like there roast medium rare and the other more medium well or ruined in my opinion. What would you think of cutting the roast in half and pulling them at different times?
    A very quick dip in hot au jus takes the pink out. So just cook it to the right temp (say 120), rest it while you fire up for the reverse sear, then slice it. Perfect. And for those who liked it ruined (ahem, well done) a quick dip.

Merry Christmas to all!!!
    LBGE
  • Did my first Prime Rib also. 7.9 lbs. Cooked at 275 and pulled at 130 internal. I was nervous cause I was bringing it to the in laws and both my wife's brothers and they all think they are BBQ gurus. It was a major hit. Nothing left but my father in laws pork and ribs he brought. Left in fridge overnight with kosher salt and today I rubbed it down with oil and used Chicago steak seasoning and a little more kosher salt. It was great. I'll try and post pics tomorrow. I'm new to posting, but i read everyday on here. I've learned allot from y'all. Y'all have taken away some of the stress with the liquid refreshment of choice taking out the rest. Merry Christmas to all the Egg heads.... Thanks
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    "Nothing left but my father in laws pork and ribs he brought"......nice. He'll be buying an egg soon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Just put a. 15lb boneless on egg