Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Pizza Stones

MrDaveMrDave Posts: 13
I am searching for information on the BGE XML Pizza stone. I have not located very much discussion on the XL stone on this site. I have read that cooking pizza higher in the dome provides better results so that is my quest. I have contacted Ceramic Grills , however they do not have any experience with the XL stone other than it is too big and heavy, which I can agree with. I have included my question that I sent them to solicit this groups input. What is the largest and highest stone that I can use? Quoting Dave Asaibene : Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have the most current XL egg. Got it a few weeks ago (sans Plate setter). Recommendations on the web  is that I get the XL Woo2. and the 17.5 stone. I may want to, in the future get the adj rig, just not sure if I need that much cook space at this time. I realize that you have a package that includes everything. I like the idea of the big XL BGE Pizza stone and from the web feedback the higher in the dome you can put a pizza stone the better, I do not care for burnt or black bottom crusts. My concern is that since the XL stone is really big that I will run out of space (around the sides and for air circulation) as I raise it. Reason for the XL Stone is that I like to do several small pizzas rather than a large one. Also would like to do several loafs of bread at the same time. I have spent a lot of time on searching your website but cannot locate any conversation pro or con on the BGE XL stone. If I put the rig on the xlwoo2 on the fire ring, will the xl bge pizza stone fit at 5 inches above the felt line? Assume that they are in the cutouts on the fire ring. What kind of space will I have around the edges? My rough calculations indicate that at 5 inches above the felt the diameter is 20 inches and at 3 inches it is 23 inches. Thanks Dave On Dec 10, 2012, at 9:52 AM, sales@ceramicgrillstore.com wrote: Hi Dave, Assuming you have the most current xl egg, (see what fits my xl on our site), the xl adj. rig on the fire ring puts the stone approx. 3" above the felt line. With pizza I prefer to use the xlwoo and rig.  This puts the stone approx. 5 inches above the felt line. Quoting David J Asaibene : If I purchase the adj rig for my xl egg and place it on the fire ring, can I put the bge xl pizza stone on top and how far into the dome or how high above the felt line will it be? Also I assume that putting the xl pizza stone on the woo2 will have the stone just above the felt line. I am not using a bge plate setter (don't have one) Thanks Dave Asaibene

Comments