Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with BBQ Adapter plate not fitting.

Options
Judy Mayberry posted this a couple of days ago. I thought I should repost with a solution for those experiencing the same issues.

I have an older Large Egg and when I added a new fire screen under the bottom vent cover, I had to pry the vent sliding channels out with a slot screwdriver, top and bottom, because the fit was too tight. Finally got it to work.

Last night I used the Guru adaptor on the vent to do my first overnight pork butt (I've always done them in the daytime) and at midnight in limited illumination I had the devil of a time closing off the adaptor with the vent door. I finally used the heat tape that Chubby gave Mickey who sent some to me, covered the open slot, and the butt was done late this morning.

I just went out there with a hammer and wide slot screwdriver to see what it would take to get the vent door closed. It took a lot! I pried out the sliding channels some more, banged into the right side of the adaptor (which knocks the sliding clip out of place...) with the slot and the hammer, and eventually got it closed.

Bob's solution:
The BBQ Guru is bendable. I had the same problem as you. My solution was to take the plate and put it in a vise. No need to clamp excessively. First remove the slider bar. Using only your fingers, bend the plate very slightly away from the fan holder. It doesn't take much.Move the whole thing up a little and do it again. Flip the Guru plate over and do the other side. You can also do this with the slider bar but be careful not to crush it flat in the vise. Mine now matches the curvature of the egg and fits perfectly behind the screen and damper doors.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, I had to bend my adapter to get it to slide on smoothly too.  My parents prepared me through training when I was a young lad (maybe 4 y.o. or so).  They bought a training device that had round and square holes and I had to figure out how to fit the pegs into the darn thing.  Once I figured it out, it was a kind of a life-changing epiphany.  I credit that moment with making the Guru adapter (square) fit in the curved (round) slot earlier this year.  Lesson learned - simple wood tools train our young to be innovative eggers later in life.  :D
    And you said I had a warped sense of humour!

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Yeah, I had to bend my adapter to get it to slide on smoothly too.  My parents prepared me through training when I was a young lad (maybe 4 y.o. or so).  They bought a training device that had round and square holes and I had to figure out how to fit the pegs into the darn thing.  Once I figured it out, it was a kind of a life-changing epiphany.  I credit that moment with making the Guru adapter (square) fit in the curved (round) slot earlier this year.  Lesson learned - simple wood tools train our young to be innovative eggers later in life.  :D
    Does that mean that you used a big %%^&(( hammer ??

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Obviously you didn't read my %%^&(( post. I said "Using only your fingers, bend the plate very slightly away from the fan holder." Nola has just been trying to put square pegs into round holes since he was 4. I think that was last year wasn't it Nola?  :-/

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Obviously you didn't read my %%^&(( post. I said "Using only your fingers, bend the plate very slightly away from the fan holder." Nola has just been trying to put square pegs into round holes since he was 4. I think that was last year wasn't it Nola?  :-/
    Sir, you are correct.  I am a special case where my developmental age is frozen at age 5 (ironically based on a peg-hole test).  In human years, I am in my late 40s. 

I was accused, by my parents, for being a pain-in-the-ass after age 4, as (they claimed) I would disassemble any household appliance I could get my hands on (without being caught).  Can openers, toasters and stuff like that.  It was unfortunate for my parents that my prodigal abilities only extended to diss-assembly.   I've since advance to the assmembly stage, but I've long moved out of the house.
    My son was a lot like that. He always seemed to break things by an accident. I can laugh now but it sure in hell wasn't funny at the time! I on the other hand was a perfect child. (Don't even think of saying "and still are!" )