Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Pork Tenderloin

Mmmmmm....   marinated 18 hrs and cooked at 400 until 160, and let it rest until 164 (about 10 minutes).  Made a sauce with the marinade based on an onion puree sauce.  Dang!!! This was slap-yo-momma melt-in-your-mouth good.

The recipe for the onion puree sauce was in a book apparently meant for restaurant quantities.
"Start by peeling and sweating 5lbs of onions"....

Comments

• Are there pictures?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Looks great
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Would love to see the recipe for both. Sounds awesome
  • Didn't happen . . .  no pics

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    every time I do a cook like this, mysteriously my camera goes on the fritz... go figure... 

marinade:
    1/2 cup GOOD bourbon
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
    1/2 cup water
    3-6 chopped garlic gloves
    1 to 2 TBS black pepper  (we did 2 and it made the sauce a bit "warm" - you can also add an additional 1TBS of white pepper) 
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Marinade for 12-18hrs  

Grill @400 until 155-160. (approx 1hr?) remove and foil and let rest until temp reaches 162-165. I grilled in a small foil pan to catch some of the juices instead of letting them just burn up.  

Sauce:
    chop 1 medium to large onion
    saute until translucent in 1-2 tblsp EVOO
    puree onion 

While the pork tenderloin is on the grill, simmer 1 cup of the marinade + ~1/4 cup red wine in a sauce pan and reduce by ~1/3.  Add pureed onion and ~1/4-1/3 cup cream (half&half, heavy cream or in a pinch regular milk)   This is a swag recipe... :) 

• Alright I drank the 1/2 cup of bourbon, now what do I do?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The recipe sounds pretty good. Has anyone actually tried this one out. Onedbguru claims to have made it but there is no pics so we can only assume it never took place. 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I think we need pictures and more bourbon. I'm out of bourbon do you think Jameson is OK?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    SELECT RECIPE_ID, RECIPE_DESCRIPTION FROM ALL_GREAT_RECIPES WHERE UPPER(RECIPE_DESCRIPTION) LIKE '%BOURBON%' AND PICTURE_ID IS NOT NULL;

no rows returned. 

Didn't happen!

...it does sound great though.  I love bourbon and pork. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2012
    Ahhhh....we've got some Oracle SQL skilz here!

--remove imaginary cooks
    delete from all_great_recipes where picture_id is null and user_id != 'nolaegghead';

:D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    You Canucks have such creative imaginations.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    SmokeyPitt,  sounds like someone has spent WAY too much time using Oracle.

My favorite command is:  ALTER DBA UPDATE RESUME;  For those who do really stupid stuff 
  • nolaegghead
    mine is (I'm just making this up as I go)

declare
    cursor v_cur is select table_name from user_tables;
    v_table varchar2(100);
    begin
    open v_cur;
    loop
    fetch v_cur into v_table;
    exit when v_cur%notfound;
    execute immediate 'drop table '||v_table;
    end loop;
    exception
    when others then