Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's time to makeover my table

As you can see, it's seen better days.   I got the BGE out and have sanded it down completely.    Have new wood to replace the bottom shelf (cupping) and am going to brace it with 2x4's runnng in the opposite direction under bottom shelf.    Based on what I've read here, I'm going to use 4 coats of spar urethane on the top and 3 everywhere else.   

Questions:

1. How many coats of stain should I use?

2. If I want to inlay a cutting board (granite) to I use a router?   Are there plans anywhere?

Sorry....I am a noob when it comes to woodworking, but I find myself enjoying it tremndously!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The more coats and the heavier the stain.. the darker. The urethane will darken it also. Your top looks like 3/4" stock. I wouldn't route too much without supporting the cutting board from the bottom. You could always just use a nice cutting board on top of the....well, top. My 2 cents...good luck. Post pics.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, I think you cut a hole for the granite, and put a couple of 2x4s under the hole to support the weight.

You don't need any stain but if you want it, try it first somewhere you won't see it, make sure you like the way it looks.  It's hard to "un-stain" wood. 
    I think an upgrade in the species of wood and you'll never have to do it again.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I'm so glad you posted this.  My 8-month old table already looks beat down.   I'll be sanding and applying spar urethane this spring.  I'm anxious to see how your project turns out.  Seeing all of these incredible cedar tables and beautiful stainless steel cabinets make me embarrassed to post any pics of mine. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Give the wood the same number of coats on top and bottom.  This minimizes the chances of warping occurring.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My working theory has always been finish all sides of the wood up until that finish is an effective "membrane" that moisture can't permeate (at least quickly).  If you don't, then one side will absorb water or dry out faster than the other and you'll get cupping.  I might put two coats on the bottom where there's no sun or standing water and 4 on the top.  QDude is spot on in minimizing the moisture problem, but I'm lazy.
  • Sounds like you've got the stain part covered. For the cutting board inlay, a plunge router is your best best, although a fixed base will work. Make a square template that your router will ride in. Just make the template bigger than the cutting board by the length of the radius of your router base. You'll have to square up the corners with a chisel.

Make sure that you do light passes and don't try to hog out all of the material in one pass. 1/4" at a time should do the trick. This will prolong the life of your router.
    Mark Annville, PA