Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET-732 or Thermoworks tw8060?

I'm looking to purchase a digital thermometer to mainly monitor the ambient temps in the lbge. I have a instant read, so the meat temps aren't as critical to me as having a better idea of my temp at the grate/dome. Based on the searches I've done on this site, obviously the general consensus is the maverick et-732, but based on reviews and the way my luck runs, I began to search out an alternate in the tw 8060. I really like the description & functionality of the dual channel. Remote is a non-factor, not that far to the bge anyway. I'm just having trouble pulling the trigger on the $129 price tag & the thought of having to replace their probes, however, I'm having an even harder time pulling the trigger on the Mav b/c of the reviews. The Mav may be a great unit, but based on my luck and the reviews I'm just a little skeptical. My thinking is if I buy the Mav and have to replace the probes in short order, I've got almost as much invested in it as I would the tw 8060...Can someone knock me off the fence one way or another??!!?  ;)  Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate it!

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I know people complain about the probes on the maverick a lot. I have had no such bad luck plus if you watch prices on amazon.com you can grab a unit for about $40. I was praising mine this morning when my fire dropped below 200 to find I was out of lump (first and last time buying frontier lump but that's another story). I don't wrap my cable heck I barely clean the meat probe (wipe with a Lysol pad after use and that's about it). I just run the cord over a leg of the plate setter and go. Mine is about 3 months old though and I will see how it goes in the long run.
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    I got the tw8060, mainly because of the problems I read with the Maverick probes. It has worked like a charm for several weeks. Probably used it 8 or 10 times. The price is a sticky point but I plan to keep it forever.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    For me: ET732.  You may not think that remote is not really a big deal, but once you have it, you will really appreciate it.  I have had it for about 6 months and the only thing I have done is replace the batteries.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you can afford it, get the TW8060.  It uses commercial quality thermocouple probes, not the thermistors that the Mav uses.  
  • Just before you run off, I have both and use the Mav the most, the strength of the Maverick is the remote capability. You can set it for temp and time alarms, same the 8060, but the big advantage is you can leave the area of the egg, it remotes the info to you. 
    If Thermoworks made a remote unit, I would pay $200 for it - unfortunately they don't. 

NOLA suggested using a baby monitor, will try that this weekend with my 8060 - we will see. 

If you buy a Maverick 732, keep the pit probe over a setter leg, and foil wrap the lead/probe junction. Do nt use it for pizza cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Good points Skiddy - he did say he wasn't interested in the remote feature....   I forgot to mention the ultimate - Fluke 52 Series II.  I'm looking for a deal on one of those ..... tough to justify the price just to keep being a food geek.....
    edited December 2012
    Good points Skiddy - he did say he wasn't interested in the remote feature....   I forgot to mention the ultimate - Fluke 52 Series II.  I'm looking for a deal on one of those ..... tough to justify the price just to keep being a food geek.....
    Says the man who spent hundreds on a warm water circulator- you are a food geek, and we are glad you are....there is the odd pearl of wisdom....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have the maverick because my brother gave it to me for Christmas about 3 years ago. I've never had an issue with the probes. I do wrap them in AF. I also have the Thermopen to check things out just in case.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • This is my first post but I have been following the forum since we got my dad his egg for Fathers Day. I don't think that he has used it once yet, but the lady friend and I seem to spend every weekend at my parents house now. I had the Maverick to start with and it failed on a pork butt. I realized after the butt came out really dry that the Mav was reading almost 12 degrees low. I replaced the batteries but it was still bad. I bought the TW 8060 BBQ Pro package and I love it. Being able to know the exact temp at the grate and also the meat temp one one unit has been great. I will say that my ceramic high heat probe failed on Saturday and will not reach higher than 50 degrees. I called CS today and they sent me a new one this afternoon. I love the 8060 personally.
  • Regarding the Mav and the 8060, for mine both the food and pit probes read within 1 degree of each other, food probe tested at air temp and in 350 oil. The issue with the 8060 is I have to get up from watching a football game and go and look at it. I am lazy. 

Both the Mav and the 8060 will produce a reading dependent on where it is inserted. I've had roasts reading 115 on the 8060, when checked with the Thermapen read between 110 and 130. 

With the Mav, low or high readings I just don't get, broken I get.
  • nolaegghead
    I'm not this anal, but a trick to better monitor your internal temp is to let the meat cook for a while with no probe (oh look, the meat is almost room temperature!).  Anyway, you don't care about the temp until its almost done.  Half way through the cook, use an instant read to find the coolest part of the roast.  Put your food probe in that spot.  Now you're (hopefully) monitoring the last of the meat to reach your setpoint temp.

Damn Skiddy - you ever sleep?  You're in the northwest, right?