Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Butt - Success!

Hi All,

I finished my first butt, and I must say it exceeded all of my expectations!

8.5 pounds, cooked for 16 hours at 225 dome, pulled at 200 internal. I started it late evening on Friday and it was done for dinnertime Saturday.

Thumbs up from all guests!

-- Josh

·

Comments

• Looks great. Congrats!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Looks great and sounds like a successful first butt. Good job. I've done a number of butts at 225 with great results and some very long cook times. Most recently have bumped up the temp to 275 or so with good results as well.
  • Good on you. It does feel good when the guest comment positively. And on your first attempt. You are well on your way. Congradulations
    ·
  • 16 hrs????? Wow that seems like a very long time for a 9 lb butt even at 225. Looks good though
    ·
  • ttexxan said:
    16 hrs????? Wow that seems like a very long time for a 9 lb butt even at 225. Looks good though
    Well, I did read that 1.5-2 hours per pound at that temp was normal, so it came in at just under 2 hours/pound.

Most of the "bad butt" reports I had read on the forum seemed due to pulling too early, so I made a point of ensuring it was 200 degrees throughout.
    ·
  • A butt takes as long to cook as it takes. Reason you have to have a Thermopen to check it, course you can pull the bone and if it falls out it's done. Looks like you did a good job, congratulations!

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • BRush00BRush00 Posts: 315
    TorontoBBQer - if your name was 'Calgary', I would think that you were secretly my wife taking pictures (and credit for) my Friday night/Saturday cook!

HA!

Good job.

[Insert clever signature line here]
    ·
  • DonWWDonWW Posts: 259
    Nice going, eh!  And, great call for keeping it on the egg until you hit the right temp! 
    XL BGE.  Dallas, Texas.
    ·