Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Greasing a Deep Dish Pizza Stone? Bad for stone and egg?

Options
Looking at the BGE Deep Dish recipe, it says to grease the stone with non-stick spray.  I was under the impression that 1. using sprays on a porous pizza stone was not a good idea and 2. using a spray was not good for the egg.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  Only had my egg for a few weeks now, and don't want to do anything to mess it up!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i am not sure what recepie it is you are looking at. i do my deep dish in a spring form pan. they are jusgt easier to get the pie out of. i use crisco to grease it. if you have the  bge deep dish stone then dont worry use the grease it will not mess up the stone i have had enough grease on all of my egg componets that whatever you spray on it grease wise will burn off easily!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    My neighbor has a "seasoned" pizza stone which is slick as glass. I don't think the spray hurts it.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea the grease on that will not hurt it!! go ahead and give it a try! take some pictures. i have not used the bge deep dish stone i only have the flat pizza stone

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    IMHO I'd oil it, but not using a canned spray (pump mister is ok). My experience has been that sprays, like PAM, leave a residue that builds and is difficult to remove. Pizza is usually cooked at temps over 400, so Crisco or canola oil rubbed on with a paper towel are fine. They also seem to clean-up much better than a spray (They're cheaper to use as well)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I use Crisco on my BGE deep dish pan....
  • kbutler84
    Options
    Should have gone with Crisco...Canola didn't do the trick.  Guess I'll just have to make another pie
    ;)
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Your pizza pans should be black if they are used properly.  I just use olive oil and scrape the pans with a metal spatula.  Never wash them!  I wipe them out with a damp towel before each use.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!