Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip Beef Roast experience and advice please

Options
I was thinking about cooking a tri tip roast for a Christmas Party , having it deli sliced thin for sliders. Any experience or advice? I have never cooked this cut before either oven roasted or on BGE. I would like to have it cooked med rare to medium. Appreciate all comments.

Comments

• brianbala
    Options
    I reverse seared a 3# black angus tri-tip last night for the first time and was very pleased with my results.
    I set up indirect with my CI grid under the plate setter, so it would be good and warm by the time I was ready to sear. I cooked the meat at 300 dome temp until 125 internal (about one hour) with a good amount of hickory chips. I pulled the meat along with the platesetter and factory grate while the egg got up to 700+, which only took about 5 minutes. I proceeded to sear that sucker for two minutes per side. After resting a good 15 minutes, I was very pleased with the results.
    Prior to the cook, I rubbed the meat with mesquite seasoning, which produced a nice crust. I also scored the fat cap so the rub could penetrate the meat below.imageimageimage
    Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options

I have done mine two ways with great success:

1. Season with a light coat of Olive Oil and rub with Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks seasoning. Sear at 600 for about 3-4 min per side, then finish out the cook at 350 about 10-12 min per side. Only flip once.

2. Last week I made Trip Tip sandwiches and they were great. I got a wild hair and had my butcher tenderize the tip. I seasoned and cooked it the same way and made sandwiches out of french bread with smoked gouda and swiss cheese.

I am going to try the reverse sear method next time and see how that turns out. Looks great.

• TigerDunes
    Options
    Thank you so much for both replies. And the pix from the first reply are wonderful especially #4.