Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brining question

After having read many of your comments on brining, I am 100% sold!  We had chicken breasts last night that were the best I have ever had.  Brining is the only way to go.

I understand the "chemistry" of the brining process.  That said, my question is whether decreasing the amount of salt will still have similar results without the "salty" taste.  My wife (who is anti-salt!) loves the flavoring of the brine but feels the chicken is too salty. 

Can I go with 50% of the salt and get the same end result?  Or, if I cut the soak by 50%, will I get the same end result but with less salty flavor?

...help!  I have to brine!!  ...I can't go back!  :)

·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,810
    Try cutting back on the salt and/or washing and drying  after you have brined it.
    ·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 353
    I agree with Richard, I've found that rinsing and wiping the meat after brining removes much of the saltiness.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·
  • An add-on to the question above;

Does "soaked in 8% solution of water, salt and herbs to enhance the juiciness and flavor" mean that the bird is "pre-brined"?

·
  • ZickZick Posts: 171
    I brine all the time.  With a good rinsing I do not believe being to salty will be an issue at all.  You may also just go a titch lighter with the salt in your rub.

When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,641
    An add-on to the question above;

Does "soaked in 8% solution of water, salt and herbs to enhance the juiciness and flavor" mean that the bird is "pre-brined"?

Usually.  Look at the sodium per serving on the nutrition label.  If it's 20-60mg, it's not brined.  If it's way higher, it is brined.

·
  • pkaboo1pkaboo1 Posts: 111

I use buttermilk, my wife has high blood pressure.

buttermilk works fine.

Snellville,Ga.
    ·