Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chili from my Veggie Basket

Made chili on the Egg today.  Normally I cook a single roast (usually 7-bone) and then dice it up after its mostly cooked and add it to the chili.  Didn't see a good roast at the market yesterday, so I thought I'd try stew meat in my vegetable basket this time.  It worked okay, a bit messy but the meat cooked very quickly.  
I thought maybe the extra surface area would collect more smoke flavor (I used Jack Daniels barrel and a bit of mesquite) but the chile flavor kind've masked it (I used four dried poblanos and six dried japones, soaked in hot chicken broth, stemmed and blended).  
Good stuff, Maynard!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
·

Comments

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Looks good! Did you use that fancy DO on your egg? Also what are you using for a gasket... It looks like peanut butter between your base and dome.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,890
    @Brownie: the gasket is that copper gasket stuff you can get at the auto parts store, I spread a heavy bead on the bowl rim, covered it with saran wrap, then lowered the lid and and let it set a couple days.  Ain't purty, but it seals perfectly and has been durable so far.
    What is a "DO"?  
    :-$

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Dutch Oven... How long have you been using your copper glue gasket? Are you happy with it? It seems like a good idea.
    ·