Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Standing Rib Roast-pics

DonWW
DonWW Posts: 424
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
One of my favorite meals to cook.  11 lb roast.  Ribs are cut away, but not off, which allows me to season in between the ribs and the roast before I tie it up.  Season liberally with Snider's Beef Rib and Roast seasoning.  I cut off most of the hard fat.

Cooked with PS legs up.  I place a pan beneath the roast to catch the drippings which I use to make gravy.

I start with the egg at about 500-550 and then close it off to about 325 - 350 at the grate.  About 20 degrees hotter on the dome.  I put it on around 4:00 and it was ready just under three hours later with an internal temp of 120.  I had intended to put a few wood chunks on, but didn't realize that I had omitted that step until I was already up and cooking.  My whole back yard smelled like roast beef for hours - awesome!   A short FTC while I made gravy, enjoyed apps with my guests.

Very consistent throughout.  Super tender and super delicious. 

As it went on the Egg.

About 90 minutes into the cook.  Just a quick peek. 

The finished product.  Yes, those are Yorkshire puddings in the background.

Medium rare - accommodates most all preferences. 

For those who care: two wines were paired.  2007 Kenzo AI Napa cab.  And a 200 Ch. Quinalt St. Emilion bordeaux.  Both were excellent.

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments