Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver 3485

Options
Is this model any good?  We want to get one to try and cook larger cooks and freeze what we dont eat to reheat another day,

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8316

Or should I look for a different one?

Thanks

And using the food saver.  Once we seal the food and freeze it.  Just reheating the bag in hot/warm water will reheat the food and it will taste like it just came off the Egg?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    That looks like mine, except mine is all black.  Does it keep a roll inside and you zip it off?  Mine does, and I really like the unit.

I never reheat in the bags, so I don't know.  I just use it to initially freeze the raw meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    looking to do both actually.  Freeze raw meats and leftovers. 

Garnerville, NY
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited December 2012
    Options
    We bought the GameSaver Silver version that came in the "kit" with the travel bag and vacuum container, 12 volt cord and travel bag.  It was actually a couple of cents cheaper than the one without the accessories.  This unit will seal more consecutive bags without overheating and shutting down.  It is not as nice looking as the model you noted, but we don't leave ours out on the counter.  We so far have only used ours for raw meat before freezing and sealing smoked cheese, so have not done a heat in bag.  Both I and the wife have been pleased with the way ours works, very simple and utilitarian. I sometimes think the less "automatic" functions you purchase on a small appliance, the better.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Mine is all SS - V3840, the controls look the same. The only issue I've seem with any foodsaver home units is the duty cycle. If you seal a bag, fill it with food then vacuum seal it, it will work all day. If you try to seal a bunch of bags, after about 3 or so it overheats, in other words you cannot seal five bags, fill five bags, than vac five bags. 

Other than that, it works fine. I use for freezing and thawing in warm water, never the same as the first time, but still pretty good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • arffpup
    arffpup Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    Options

This is the sealer I have gone to. Chamber sealer vs. external bag sealer. Great for sealing soup and marinated meats.Been very happy with it.

http://vacmaster.aryvacmaster.com/cgi/ary.wsc/product.htm?p-item-num=VP112

• Browninggold
    Options
    I have the SS-3840 and never had it not work. Purchase a 1/2 a steer the last 2 yrs. and run the unit for a few hours straight...always works
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    looks like mine.  use it all the time for left overs and raw bulk meat buys.  i don't have the marinating jars but things freeze so much better with it.