Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer - Necesssary?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been a Weber Charcoal man all my life. Getting my BGE (large) soon. I notice that almost all of the recipes call for a thermometer inserted into the meat. I have never had to do this, I can tell how well, medium, rare all my meats are without a thermometer. I'm not bragging, I have just learned how to do it. Is it absolutely necessary to have a thermometer for the egg?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tony,
    If you can tell without a thermometer, it doesn't matter what you cook on. So, I don't see why you would need one just because you get an Egg. So, what's your secret, LOL!
    TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Tony,
    I also like to cook steaks, burgers, and other grilled meats by feel. However, I'd be lost without a thermometer on low and slow cooks of pork butt or brisket. I also need the reinforcement of a thermometer reading when I roast a turkey or a large chicken.[p]Paul

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Tony, for most things I don't use one. However, when my wife is around I use one to convince her it's done because she is of the opinion that if it's juicy it must be rare. She was accustomed to eating welldone steaks that resembled shoe leather in their moisture content. She is slowly coming around and really likes the idea that meat can be moist and done. :-)

• PizzandQs
    PizzandQs Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    For steaks, chops, chicken etc you'll be fine without a thermometer.
    On a big piece of meat, though, it's if nothing else reassuring to watch the dial spin.
    Depending on what you're cooking, the internal temperature ranges from being a rough guide (brisket) to a precise definition (prime rib).
    Have fun,
    Steve
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wise One,
    "Jumping up, pointing around towards the pc"
    "Grumbling, SEE! That's what I mean!"
    "Nodding, knowingly"[p]Ok, I feel better. Thanks for the chance to have a little rant... :)[p]I too am re-training my family about the wonders and possiblities of juicy, flavorful meat.[p]
    bc[p][p]

• Unknown
    Options
    bc,[p]Sorry, but to to clarify: I'm now down to re-training my *extended* family in this appreciation.[p]My immediate family is converted enough, given how hard it is to eat out when it comes to steak, pizza, chicken, let alone real BBQ... ;)[p]bc

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Wise One, a buddy of mine said that his wife's chicken was not done unless dust flew out of her mouth when she chewed.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Tony,[p]No need tony if you are comfortable. I rarely use one as well. Cooking in restaraunts for years while working my way through school I got the "feel" for just about every temp in a variety of meats. The ole' finger pokin method works just fine for me...[p]I do use my remote therm. (built into the guru) for the slo and lo cooking as there is no reason to open up le egg to check a temp. [p]Cheers ~[p]B o B
  • MIlo
    MIlo Posts: 2
    Options
    Tony,[p]I rarely use thermometer inserted in the meat when "grilling" a steak or smoking fish/Jerky.
    However when roasting poultry or on a low and slow cook I always use a remote meat thermometer to tell when the meat in up to the proper temperature. This is one of the advatages of the egg, once the lid is closed there is no need to open the lid (think heat/moisture escaping). Until I starting using the BGE I could not belive poultry could be so moist.
    Welcome to the club.
    Milo