Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Sweet tea?

2»

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,004
    edited December 2012
    I hooked up the bourbon IV as soon as I got home from work.  What a long week.
    Nola - was thinking that another use for your sous vide, you can warm the bourbon to precisely body temp and simply plug in the IV to your stent when you walk in the door. 

SWMBO advises that iced tea in the US to be generally awful. Here in Canuckistan we even have sweet iced tea sold in the soda aisle, or CountryTime mix - which is quite different than that offered in the States. 

Maybe there is another export opportunity, other than BC bud..
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Years ago, my wife was an airline stewardess.  She had a Brit on board that asked for tea.  She asked "hot or iced?".  He looked at her in amazement and horror.  He had never heard of iced tea and the thought repulsed him.  I wonder if they have become civilized since then.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• Years ago, my wife was an airline stewardess.  She had a Brit on board that asked for tea.  She asked "hot or iced?".  He looked at her in amazement and horror.  He had never heard of iced tea and the thought repulsed him.  I wonder if they have become civilized since then.
    No - The only civilized Brits left, founded both of our countries. (he says, tongue in cheek)
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • I grew up in Georgia, I didn't know there was any kind of tea other than sweet. My mom put a big pot on the stove with about a gallon of water, threw in about 5 Lipton tea bags and 2 cups of sugar. I do the same thing but now I cut the sugar down to 1 cup. I drink alot more water than tea these days
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,662
    Refined white sugar, and sweet tea, are Evil and are why the South lost the Civil War.  

Obligatory Nurse Joke (my ex-GF was one also):
    You can easily tell who the Head Nurse is by the dirty knees... 
    [-X

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • For one gallon of sweetened ice tea, I use Luzianne tea bags - 4 Family sized bags for a gallon.  I put the bags in a 2 quart sauce pan, full of spring (or clean drinking) water.  Then heat gently to a low-rolling boil.  I lower the temperature until the tea simmers, and the bags are just rolling on the top.

I make SURE the tea is nice and very dark brown.  For sweetness, I use ONLY turbinado sugar - makes a heck of a difference in great tasting tea.  While the tea mixture is hot, I generally dump about 1 1/4 pounds of turbinado sugar into a tea pitcher, followed by the hot tea mixture.  Stir until all sugar is dissolved.

At this point, you only have a half gallon of hot tea.  To make up the other half, I immediately pour another half gallon of spring water back into the saucepan with the still-hot tea bags.  Using a spoon I then manage to compress the bags and squeeze out a bit more flavor into the water, then pour mixture into the tea pitcher.

Stir gently and you now have a gallon of outstanding true Southern-style sweetened tea.  Enjoy! 
  • jjmills said:
    All right people,  I need some help!  I travel to the south now and then for work.  While I'm there I tend to drink sweet tea like nobody's business.  The problem is when I'm home I seem to go through sweet tea withdrawals.  I can't seem to find a good and easy recipe that mimics the tea from the south.  If anyone could help me out with their secret weapon recipe I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance

Judd
    Here's the best from the south. get you a gallon of water. we use bottle water because we have horrible tap water here in Mississippi. if you use tap fill up a gallon jug...pour about a 1/4 of it into a pot use either 1 bag of community or lipton family size. bring it to a boil let it go for about 5 minutes cut it off and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. take you a gallon pitcher put 1 1/2 cups of sugar in it and pour the hot tea in the jug. take the remainder of the gallon water and add to pitcher...stir well and you have southern sweet tea. enjoy! also, it will be much better the day after you make it. if you drink it right after its made it will be good but not as good as it will get the longer it's in the frig. :)
    Brandon, MS
  • I must be in the minority here, I LOVE tea but cant stomache sweet tea. Love it unsweet The only way to go. This is a plus being diabetic
    :))
    One LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,046
    You just gotta make sure to add sugar wile it is still hot so it dissolves..that's about it!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg wing. 
    2014 Wing King's Apprentice