Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

"All Belly" Porchetta- 72 hr sous vide- Then Egg

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had a 12 lb belly and made 3 flavors of bacon. had a few lbs and some trimmming left over so lots of belly posts coming this week. Was looking for something cool to do with the trimmings. I had a flat piece that I thought about doing pancetta then I came across this recipe and gave it a rip. Looks cool and it's in the SV until Friday or saturday....or sunday. Not sure yet Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Ready for a long bath: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Can't wait to see how this works out......and i hope I don't die when I eat it

·

Comments

• We voted. We all hope you do! That was my damn idea beotch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    Cool - can't wait to hear how it comes out.  What temp do you plan on using?

·
  • We voted. We all hope you do! That was my @#!*% idea beotch
    The porchetta or hoping I would die?

·
  • Cool - can't wait to hear how it comes out.  What temp do you plan on using?
    144....skirting death for 4 days

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,244
    Eager to see this one Cen! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
    ·
  • cazzy said:
    Eager to see this one Cen! :)
    me too. Think I'll feed a little to the neighbors barking dog first...........

·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
    edited December 2012
    ooooooh- this was good. might do one less day in the SV but this was winner, winner, pig belly dinner. ......... Right out of the SV: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos after a quick sear on the egg: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,938
    god damn!  Doin' stuff, but, god damn!  you a bad mother f*cka

·
  • thanks NOLA. Do 36-48 on the SV. I did 72 and it was almost too much in a few spots

·
  • I've seen 36 as the time for portions.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I've seen 36 as the time for portions.

Me too but modernist cuisine said 72 so I wanted to do what the cool kids were doing. 36 is the number. Maybe 48.

·
  • I saw a video of a chef in LA doing portion cooks. He rubbed the sous vided piece with herbs and sice and then grilled. How 2 heroes. Good site

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,679
    Way above my pay grade with the above discussions about dimensions and the cook but that looks fantastic,  C-T-you never let a watermelon or bourbon interfere-Great job-I may have to venture down that road-but no promises...Congrats on a great result!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • thanks cap! can't do brisket every night (even though I'm doing one tonight) :)

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,679
    Agree -but to survive the SWMBO reaction to the S-V buy would take quite a leap of faith and infinite survival skills-even this time of year. Taking the long term approach.   Have fun with the ho-hum brisket-and I'm sure TFJ will come up with a most exceptional side dish for your efforts!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • oh she will. Not sure what it is yet. you should start with the charcuterie stuff before the SV. it's only a few bucks, does not take up any room and gives you plenty of alone time to mess around with it. Highly recommended.

·
  • nice CT...that might be my favorite thing posted here in a while.
    ·
  • Thanks MQ. It was really good but I know i can do it better. I will be doing it again for sure

·
  • I'll be sous vide-ing soon (can that be a verb?). It's just a matter if I have wait until Christmas.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,982
    You need an a$$ kicking. You are making the rest of us look bad. Nicely done, Sir!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    very nice!  liking the creative use of what most see as a 1 use (bacon) cut
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,678
    Did you sear on directly on the grate or in a cast iron pan?

Did you remove the skin before "rolling"?

Did you slice it thin or thick when serving?

I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting this!

Did you sear on directly on the grate or in a cast iron pan? Did you remove the skin before "rolling"? Did you slice it thin or thick when serving? I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting this!

Hey pac- I just seared it at grid level on the SS grate. I just wanted to get some color and a little smoke on it. I did not remove the skin and it was like it wasn't even there after so much time in the SV. I sliced it about 1.5 inches or so. About the thickness of a slice of meatloaf to give you a visual. The flavors were really really good.

·
  • Thanks griff and NOLA. It was a fun cook

·