Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Advice for small steaks

I received two small Allen Brothers steaks as a gift and plan to cook them on the Egg tonight. They are petite filets (not too thin but very small diameter) so I can only get a portion of my remote thermometer in. I want to cook medium rare. Any advise?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• njlnjl Posts: 784
    Assuming these are thin cross sectional slices of a beef tenderloin, I wouldn't use a leave-in thermometer.  If they're really thin, searing each side over high heat for 60-90s might cook them.  If you don't care about sear, you could just give them a couple of minutes at about 400F, flip, wait a few minutes, pull, stick with thermopen, and either be done or give another couple minutes, depending on what the pen says.
  • Don't do your remote on high heat cooks.

Put these in hot tap water for an hour in a zip lock then sear them hard on your egg or in a pan and they will be perfect. No longer than 60-90 seconds on the sear. Real hot, real fast 

Tap water is usually around 130-135 which is perfect med rare