Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

CI Question

I am trying to break new ground with my egg today by cooking a beef stew in an old cast iron  Dutch oven.  My question regards getting the DO back into usable shape.  The interior appears to be fine but the outside has  a several spots of  peeling of the black coating with hints of rust at the edge.  I used a green scouring pad inside and out.  Should I be concerned with the exterior? and is a little cooking oil good enough for seasoning the inside?  Thanks
·

Comments

• I think what you are looking at is the seasoning, and spilt food peeling off. If it hasn't been oiled, rust is inevitable. 
    This is old, but I have it bookmarked for reference, might help you. 

The kosher salt rub worked for me.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I always season the outside just like the inside, I just am not as picky about the outside. After I clean my CI pieces, I just coat them inside and out with a thin coat of vegetable oil. The next time I cook with them, they become more seasoned.

Tim
    ·