Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We may still be full from Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean we’re not already looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner, too! Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

CI Question

I am trying to break new ground with my egg today by cooking a beef stew in an old cast iron  Dutch oven.  My question regards getting the DO back into usable shape.  The interior appears to be fine but the outside has  a several spots of  peeling of the black coating with hints of rust at the edge.  I used a green scouring pad inside and out.  Should I be concerned with the exterior? and is a little cooking oil good enough for seasoning the inside?  Thanks

• I think what you are looking at is the seasoning, and spilt food peeling off. If it hasn't been oiled, rust is inevitable. 
    This is old, but I have it bookmarked for reference, might help you. 

The kosher salt rub worked for me.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I always season the outside just like the inside, I just am not as picky about the outside. After I clean my CI pieces, I just coat them inside and out with a thin coat of vegetable oil. The next time I cook with them, they become more seasoned.