Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Time Using Frontier Lump

I've always used Royal Oak for all my cooking but my last over night cook went 27 hours @ 250° and I went thru 2-  8.8 lb bags. Normally I wouldn't use 1 bag of RO in 22-24 hours. Time to try something else. How is the burn time on Frontier? I put 15 lbs (bag and a half) in my large BGE. I need 22 hours at 250°

Thanks 

Big Lake, Minnesota

Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• I did not like Frontier at all.  I thought it would be great to use since it's 1/2 or 1/3 of BGE brand.  But, it seemed to take it a long time to get to temp, and there was a lot of sparks flying out the daisy wheel on warm up.  And lots of dust.

I used 5 bags, but had to bite the bullet and went back to BGE lump.  I also tried the Stubbs brand briquettes, they worked ok for doing chickens, but ended up with lots of ash in the firebox. 

I haven't tried anything else...  but I really hated that frontier crap.  Did nothing for taste, either!

• I agree with it taking time to heat up. It took 1.5 hours to reach 250°. I had an oval stone with 1 gal of water in a tray on it. Using royal oak, that would've been 30-45 minutes. I will see how it burns over night but I think I will keep searching.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,126
    i ran through a few bags from lowes.  didn't get the life out of it.  i have been using cowboy (stocked year round at my local ace) for the last 3 months and it seems to have a better life faster up to temp and less sparks.  i always used it with my weber too can't complain on the price got 4 bags of wicked good coming from ace online may have drank some koolaide to order that one.
  • Texan_in_SeattleTexan_in_Seattle Posts: 6
    edited December 2012

From Ace, free shipping to local store

Wicked Good - 20.99 - 22lb bag

Cowboy - 15.99 - 20lb bag

I may have to give these a try, but I can't stand Ace.  My local one sucks, sometimes the prices are twice.

• smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 165
    If you can find Humphrey's that is some good stuff. I also like 100% Natural  Hardwood Charcoal Briquets. I used them in my weber before I got try them in my ceramic grill.
  • From Ace, free shipping to local store

Wicked Good - 20.99 - 22lb bag

Cowboy - 15.99 - 20lb bag

I may have to give these a try, but I can't stand Ace.  My local one sucks, sometimes the prices are twice.

I ordered 2 bags of Cowboy from my Ace and will be trying soon.  

Big Lake, Minnesota

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,126
    I don't mind it I know a lot of people on here don't like it but its cheap and readily available where I live. Good call on giving it a shot to form your own opinion.
  • I use Frontier quite a bit. I usually have a bag or two on hand as well as WGWW. It is cheap at my local warehouse club $19.99 for 34 lbs. Naked Whiz rated it middle of the pack. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag60.htm. Ash production is a little high but does not bother my XL. Not too bad for normal cooks under 4 hours IMHO.
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!