Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket --- Marinade

First Post - I've had my Egg for about 1 1/2 yrs now and use it A LOT!!!

I have cooked around 8 to 10 briskets now.  I have found I have really good success using this marinade and wanted to share since I have learned so much from browsing this forum.

• 1/2 Cup Red Wine - I bought a gallon jug of burgundy
  • 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
  • 1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/8 Cup Soy Sauce

I multiplied these by 4, 6, and 8 for a 13lb, 15lb and 16 lb packer brisket.  Put the briskets each in a big aluminum serving try and in the fridge.  Flipped them over once.  Soaked for around 12 to 16 hours.

I then use the Brown Sugar Rub -- 

• 1/3 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 C Chili Powder
  • 1/3 C Sea Salt
  • 1/3 C Pepper
  • 1/3 C Paprika

Throw in a little bit of Cumin too...

Then, you know the rest, cook somewhere in the 200's for a H'of a long time.  I just finished doing the 15lb and it was 20 hours, grate temp at around 240, internal hit 191.

I know some may frown upon using a marinade for a brisket and I wasn't too fond of the idea too, but it's turned out the few times I've used it, so I guess I may keep using it.  My wife really likes the briskets that have been marinaded.  I, of course, like them all!!

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm not a marinade guy when it comes to brisket but you hit it on the head sir! Ding ding ding...the wife likes!

Always a winner if the wife likes it! Thanks for sharing! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Yes SWMBO rules -but you can lessen the pain by judicious use of the remaining 100+ ounces of the gallon jug of burgundy.  If it works, it's a winner!  Well done.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

First Post - I've had my Egg for about 1 1/2 yrs now and use it A LOT!!!

I have cooked around 8 to 10 briskets now.  I have found I have really good success using this marinade and wanted to share since I have learned so much from browsing this forum.

• 1/2 Cup Red Wine - I bought a gallon jug of burgundy
    • 1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
    • 1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
    • 1/8 Cup Soy Sauce

I multiplied these by 4, 6, and 8 for a 13lb, 15lb and 16 lb packer brisket.  Put the briskets each in a big aluminum serving try and in the fridge.  Flipped them over once.  Soaked for around 12 to 16 hours.

I then use the Brown Sugar Rub -- 

• 1/3 C Brown Sugar
    • 1/3 C Chili Powder
    • 1/3 C Sea Salt
    • 1/3 C Pepper
    • 1/3 C Paprika

Throw in a little bit of Cumin too...

Then, you know the rest, cook somewhere in the 200's for a H'of a long time.  I just finished doing the 15lb and it was 20 hours, grate temp at around 240, internal hit 191.

I know some may frown upon using a marinade for a brisket and I wasn't too fond of the idea too, but it's turned out the few times I've used it, so I guess I may keep using it.  My wife really likes the briskets that have been marinaded.  I, of course, like them all!!

Sounds like a great idea - I've never marinated a brisket before.  Does it still make a nice bark?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Without pics it never happened.
  • I still have a little while, but these are rolling though the temps.  Grate is at 260.  I have a Point to cook and about 5 inches of point and flat I had to cut off.  Think I'll be putting those on at 3 am or 4 am after these 2 come off. 

And yea, the bark is crusty but not too crusty.  They sweat a lot.  I do not foil them either.  Sorry, I did not resize the pic, came from my phone.

• The one I took off this morning, no pic, sitting in the fridge.... :-(  waiting for the party tomorrow night....