Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

SAMs pizza on the egg

Ok we're trying our first pizza on egg tonight. Platesetter legs up? Pizza on stone or directly on grate? Any help would be greatly appreciated Fire lit and ready to go
·

Comments

• legs up, stone on grate, or better yet raise it up off the grate with a few fire bricks or stone chunks or whatever - just get it higher in the dome.  550 degrees.  at least 30 minutes to get everything up to temp. 
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • what kind of pizza? Pre-made or fresh dough?

·
  • Just a WAG guess but I think it may be from Sam's

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Yes SAMs we cheated Stone or grate?
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    edited December 2012
    Stone as high in the dome a possible
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Thanks guys I really appreciate your help Have a great weekend
    ·
  • I have always used the stone, higher the better. I believe that the distance between the platesetter and the stone should be minimal. If you have some bricks, pieces of steel tube, electrical boxes or something like that, put them under the platesetter legs on the fire ring and use the little green feet or plumbing fittings on the platesetter to support the stone.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,481
    I've done those right on the grid before, indirect, of course (because it was my oven).  That dough doesn't need much cooking.  Stone would be fine, but I wouldn't get it too hot.

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Give your stone at least 20 minutes to preheat.
    ·
    Isn't that dough partially pre-cooked?

·
  • Nola, I have no knowledge of this pizza. I know nothing...nothing

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Steven - It's a "fresh" pre-built pizza.  I haven't cooked one in years, but I seem to recall they have to par cook the dough or it turns into a sloppy mess sitting in the box in the store.  I buy a slice now and then - it ain't bad.

·
  • Never been to a Sams. We have them and I have a membership but there isn't one close to my normal haunts.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • This baby looks nice not a bad way to go on a Friday night Thanks for the help
    ·