Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sweet tea?

All right people,  I need some help!  I travel to the south now and then for work.  While I'm there I tend to drink sweet tea like nobody's business.  The problem is when I'm home I seem to go through sweet tea withdrawals.  I can't seem to find a good and easy recipe that mimics the tea from the south.  If anyone could help me out with their secret weapon recipe I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance

Judd
·

Comments

• Easy.  Sun tea.  Put a few bags of tea in a jug of water, and set it outside for the sun to heat the water.  For some reason, it makes better tea.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • I live in Wisconsin.  If I try that approach I will have a large ice cube.
    ·
  • My mom boils water and adds in about 8 tea bags, let this sit for about an hour with heat off.

Remove tea bags and pout this liquid into a gallon container.

Add sugar and hot tap water to fill.

I think she uses 2.5 cups of sugar per gallon.

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    I make a simple syrup 2 to 1 ratio sugar to water to dissolve the sugar easier. (2 cups sugar 4 cups water for an end result of about a gallon) A little lemon helps too. Picked up about the juice from half a lemon per gallon of tea helps keep it from being overly sweet. But not too lemony.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416

My mom boils water and adds in about 8 tea bags, let this sit for about an hour with heat off.

Remove tea bags and pout this liquid into a gallon container.

Add sugar and hot tap water to fill.

I think she uses 2.5 cups of sugar per gallon.

What this guy said. The 1 hour rest allows the flavor of the tea to concentrate. You can also leave the concentrate(after adding sugar) at room temp covered for a week and add a little extra water plus ice to cool it and dilute into the perfect glass.This stuff is the rocket fuel I grew up on in Charleston, SC. Boil about 8 cups of water with the tea bags, that is what I do. Otherwise, you can also boil the whole amount with the tea bags and add the sugar to the pot after the steep. Stir to dissolve and refrigerate. I actually use 12 bags of Red Rose Tea for mine.
    ·
  • I buy Lipton Southern Sweet Tea at Sam's, one tea bag makes a gallon pre- sweetened with splenda, very good and easy to make.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • brimeebrimee Posts: 73
    I buy Lipton Southern Sweet Tea at Sam's, one tea bag makes a gallon pre- sweetened with splenda, very good and easy to make.
    Your kidding, right? Lipton is Northern tea...

You can only make good sweet tea using Luzianne tea...
      And then alot of sugar of course.

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
    ·
  • I have heard that Milo's tea (sold in gallon container in the south) is sweetened with brown sugar (don't know if light or dark brown sugar).
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,935
    technically, there ain't no tea grown anywhere in the continental USofA. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WorldTeaProductionFAO2008.svg

There's a sweet tea down here in NOLA that is insanely good.  They call it Lebanese Tea.  I've never seen it anywhere else, but it's not hard to make.  You'll need rosewater.

http://www.middlebarla.com/2011/10/monas-lebanese-iced-tea.html

Another variation is to make tea and sweeten with it with jallab syrup.  You can order it from Amazon, or if you have a middle eastern grocery, they might have it.

http://www.amazon.com/Jallab-Syrup-Ziyad-27oz-770g/dp/B000LRKODK

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526
    Milos sweet tea is also available with splenda.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • I use THIS. Brew with lipton iced tea bags and regular sugar. My wife is a Texan and I am a Floridian, we both approve. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    Travis - don't forget the juice.

Bourbon Lemon Tea

Ingredients:

Preparation:

1. In a double rocks glass, add bourbon and limoncello.
    2. Add ice.
    3. Top with ice tea.
    4. Garnish with lemon wedge and serve.

·
  • I stopped reading after the first ingredient.  Ahhhhh!  Makers Mark is great sippin' whiskey!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    I hooked up the bourbon IV as soon as I got home from work.  What a long week.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    edited December 2012
    Hooked up? Do you have like an IV setup or something? Never mind reread :\">

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Hey buddy.

·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587

·
    I stopped reading after the first ingredient.  Ahhhhh!  Makers Mark is great sippin' whiskey!
    I wouldn't waste makers mark in that.... Evan Williams black label - yep.

·
  • Hoss said:

Dammit Hoss!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Well, Miss B is a nurse and there's usually an IV needle in her work jacket, but I usually just use those for home surgery when one of the cats gets an abscess.

·
  • Know any good nurse jokes? My wife is one too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    plenty.

Q: Why's the blonde nurse carry a red Sharpie around the hospital?
    A: In case she needs to draw blood.

·
  • Mine aren't quite that clean

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Easy.  Sun tea.  Put a few bags of tea in a jug of water, and set it outside for the sun to heat the water.  For some reason, it makes better tea.
    +++
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited December 2012
    I was in the hospital for three days.  Then, I took a turn for the nurse.

W.C. Fields

(my wife is a nurse too)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • There was one about a bowling ball I remember

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I just slipped the bar girl a $20 to pour me a triple jonnie walker.

Xmas parties suck.

I prefer grand mariner (sp?) in my tea.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,588
    Sugar in sweet tea is like drinking beer...where do you stop?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • smaschsmasch Posts: 115
    So, lived in Missouri till 6 yrs ago.  Moved to the Atlanta area for wife's job.  Being a fireman in the area, you can immerse yourself in the sweet tea culture.
    1). Plain sweet tea
    2). D25. Sweet tea that will pull you out of a minor diabetic stupor
    3). D50. Able to pull you out of a DEEP diabetic coma
    4). Reunion tea.  Able to PUT you in a state of such HIGH sugar dependency that you can chew the grit.  
    Enjoy
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    sweet tea vodka is pretty awesome too my wife and I mix firefly vodka with a 1/3 lemonade in the summer and get all sorts of silly off of it can't taste the alcohol at all.
    ·