Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Aid Mixer

I just found out I will be getting the mixer and meat grinder attachement...... Any suggestions for using this bad boy???????

LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC

Comments

• I've been getting into making dough for pizzas lately.  Good stuff.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I've been getting into making dough for pizzas lately.  Good stuff.
    Looking now at dough recipes..... Ever grind any meat???
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Ground Turkey a few weeks ago and worked out well. Its a Slow process but works well if you are not grinding 50LBS of meat and just doing some minor grinding.

But I use my Mixer alot, just did cookie dough and made cookies on the egg tonight.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012
    I've been getting into making dough for pizzas lately.  Good stuff.
    Looking now at dough recipes..... Ever grind any meat???
    Don't have the meat attachment (it's technically my wife's kitchen aid)  but the meat grinder attachment sounds like a x-mas gift for me!
    Would love to try to make some sausages/brats - something I've always wanted to get into making...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tip when grinding meat cut into 1 inch cubes and place in freezer for a few minutes and do in batches. When you make your patties don't compress them too much.  
    And for an over the top hamburger grind some bacon into ine of the batches. Really very good.  You are going to enjoy the KA.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    They're great for mixing/kneading doughs, beating things like egg whites or whipping cream.  I even use it to mix up pancake batter.  My pizza dough, I do by hand...it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle/mess to use the mixer.  I don't have the grinder (there are several, AFAIK, both OEM and aftermarket).  I'm curious to hear which you get and how it works.  I keep thinking about getting one and grinding my own burger meat.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Tip when grinding meat cut into 1 inch cubes and place in freezer for a few minutes and do in batches. When you make your patties don't compress them too much.  
    And for an over the top hamburger grind some bacon into ine of the batches. Really very good.  You are going to enjoy the KA.
    Raw or cooked bacon?  I've occasionally put cooked bacon bits into hamburger patties.
  • Best tip given to me was learn how to adjust the paddle/whisk/hook to bowl clearance. It is in the manual, but once it is set up correctly the KA cab really ka.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Raw, but hamburger is the only beef I don't want walking to my plate.  If you are going for med rare burgers, I would pre cook the bacon (nuke/egg) ...just a little.  
    Dont' forget to play around with your fat content.  
    I have also ground up a batch made with 15% pork butt and 85% sirloin.  I really love the flavor of sirloin.  
    Clean up is with water and a 5 minute soak in a 1% clorox solution and then wash with soap and water.  Be sure and dry all the pieces before storing.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We use our Kitchen Aid mixer for making dough and grinding meat.  That's pretty much it.  It's just too easy using a hand mixer for batters.  I'd like to try the pasta attachment, if anyone has anything good to say about it....I know there are some manual pasta rollers that work great.

Bacon in burger meat - sounds like a winner.  Maybe a good way to dress up some 90-93% ground meat. 

I wouldn't be afraid to eat a medium rare burger with raw bacon mixed in.  There are about 11 cases of trichinosis in the US each year, almost all traced to wild game or home-farmed pork.  Way more people win the lottery.  Prosciutto, capicola and a number of other pork products are uncooked and cured
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I've got the KA with meat grinder & sausage stuffer. Funchtions pretty well, but I have found that the "push rod" - the plasic thingy used to push the meat down to the grinder/stuffer acts as a suction and pulls the meat back out. Its a messy and time consuming process. Any ideas?. Partially freezing meat prior to grinding is critical. I bought the hog casings on-line for cheap.   I have to say the burgers and sausage are the best I've ever tasted.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    Raymont said:
    I've got the KA with meat grinder & sausage stuffer. Funchtions pretty well, but I have found that the "push rod" - the plasic thingy used to push the meat down to the grinder/stuffer acts as a suction and pulls the meat back out. Its a messy and time consuming process. Any ideas?. Partially freezing meat prior to grinding is critical. I bought the hog casings on-line for cheap.   I have to say the burgers and sausage are the best I've ever tasted.
    I lost my push stick tool years ago.  You don't need it.  The screw sucks everything down into the hopper.  Just cut your meat in long strips.  Once it gets started, it's gonna get sucked into the grinder.
    edited December 2012
    nolaegghead said: I'd like to try the pasta attachment, if anyone has anything good to say about it....I know there are some manual pasta rollers that work great.

I used an Atlas pasta roller for years, was never really happy with it as the attachment securing it to the counter was poorly designed, and you really needed three hands (one to feed the dough, one to receive the dough, and one to crank; a great dinner date activity but otherwise a pain).  I debated whether to get a motor for it, or the KA pasta roller (they were both about the same price) and I'm so
     glad I got the KA roller!  Because of the mixer's weight its steady as you could want, plus there's so much more room for the noodles to come out, about a foot, where the Atlas only had about 4" clearance from the counter.  I make pasta about once a week and am really happy with the KA setup.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    I'm sold.  I'm asking Santa for the pasta attachment for Christmas.  Thanks Botch!

I cut mine into strips not cubes and it works well. Also I do mine on higher speeds so it will get done fast but when you do that blood will shoot all over your kitchen. I clip a towewl around the top tray to stop the blood from going everywhere I would recommend doing thisimage.

• +1 on strips instead of cubes.
  • nolaegghead
    I do strips, but I don't have the bloodbath problem because they're frozen (but not too frozen they don't grind well).

Thanks for advice on strips, I'll certainly try. How about when you are stuffing sausage, after the meat has been ground?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yes grind first and season then put th esausage attachment on. Others do not like the sausage stuffer but I thought it was pretty easy to use. Get someone to help you until the sausage is long enough to hit the counter and then you are set. You want to keep the mixer on the slowest setting when doing sausage. Also don't trim any fat from the shoulder if anything but some fat and mix it in when you grind.
  • All these suggestions, I may not wait until Christmas to open mine......