Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh mullet source in the Tampa, Fl. area?

Options
Smut-butt
Smut-butt Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone in the Tampa, Florida area know a source for fresh mullet? I have moved down here from the panhandle of Florida and miss that great taste of smoked mullet.
Also, a seafood restaurant that serves smoked or fried mullet would make this country boy very happy.
Peace to you all.

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I use a cast 11' mono cast net. It dosen't get any fresher. :) Where in the handle were you.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Faith gets hers from Cox seafood. A place in Odessa by me has smoked mullet and spread. In St Pete there is Ted Peters. Again ask Faith she like the fish stuff.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi caboose,

This article might help. Smoke ’Em If You Got ’Em

Gator
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Ted Peters Famous Smoked Fish Probably the best
    1350 Pasadena Avenue South
    Pasadena
    727-381-7931

Crab Shack Restaurant I think out of business
    11400 Gandy Blvd. (St. Pete end of Gandy Bridge)
    St. Pete
    727-576-7813

Skipper's Smokehouse been there forever (arm yourself)
    910 Skipper Road (corner of Skipper & Nebraska)
    Tampa
    813-971-0666
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Crab Shak is there - I was there on Fathers Day and it was great. Cox for the fresh mullet, as Hungryman said.

Ted Peters, and institution, been there forever. Big'un loves the place.

Sam's in Dunedin has their own boat and they catch mullet and sell it. Or you could get a net and catch some yourself!

Where in Tampa, Caboose?

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I bet there is a bunch off your pier Faith. :laugh: Its about time to for me to go catch some.
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    I lived on Pensacola Beach until Hurricane Ivan flooded my Big Green Egg. The BGE still smokes..ha The mullet festival in Niceville is the best..
    Gators restaurant in Milton on Highway 87 was the best place for fried mullet. They were only open on Fri. and Sat. nights the last time I was in the area. Anyway, I used to catch my mullet behind the house in the intracoastal waterway--until the net ban.. I never could throw a cast net.
    The Oyster Barn in Pensacola was pretty good for mullet too.
    I do miss Pensacola seafood. Tampa doesn't compare with
    the panhandle at all, but I guess it's what you're used to..now if I could find my mullet down here, I'd be a happy camper..
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Where is the place in Odessa? I went to Gunn Highway last week and a mullet shop was out of business...I live in Odessa.
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    I live in Odessa just off Racetrack Rd. south of the St. Pete waterworks.
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    thanks for the info...I've been to Cox seafood and bought plenty of oysters. At the time that I was there, the mullet were a couple of days old. I need to get a cast net I guess..thanks for all the input..
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Ivan was a bad one. :( I sold my 300' net after the ban to a guy with catfish ponds in Jay. I still throw the cast net though, I glad they didn't ban them. It's not hard to throw, I have been throwing one since I was 8 or 9. I used to practice in the front yard. I will be down there some time this summer to visit the daughter. She is out at the Coast Guard Station in Sand Key. I am sure there is some good fishing around there. I will have to bring the net. :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Caboose, ask Cox when they get them in fresh. They have their own boats too and supply the Whole Foods store here. They will be right upfront with you about freshness. You just need a contact. Fresh is fresh, no matter where you get it in FL.
    I'm sure Hungryman will answer tomorrow about the place in Odessa. You live in between him and me!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Ted Peter's seems to be the best, but never better than doing some yourself.
    DSCI0063.jpg
    DSCI0070.jpg
  • Dixie Dream
    Options
    The best smoked mullet or smoked fish restaurant in the TB area is:

Ted Peters Smoked Fish
    1350 Pasadena Ave S
    South Pasadena, FL 33707

(727) 381-7931

Worth the drive if you like smoked fish!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    This post has been up for 15 hours, and not a single redneck joke?! How disappointing.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    I'll get the address its north of racetrack road. send me an e mail so I wont forget.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    About 3 minutes from my house.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Good mullet is nothing to joke about!! I hope I can find some in St. Cloud.
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Great, I'll check with Cox; thanks again..
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Now that's what I'm talking about....
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    Ha, being from Alabama and "lower Alabama", I enjoy those redneck jokes.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If you are around when I come down there I will hook you up with a mess. :) I can also show you the proper way to throw a cast net without loosing a tooth. :laugh:
  • Smut-butt
    Options
    You are sooo right; I believe that I could feast on mullet every day, served with cheese grits and hushpuppies. That is living! God be with you all!
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Caboose....You're going to love it there!! Wish I was back on that coast! :(

Fresh mullet:
    TRAPPMAN's Seafood, on the Gandy bridge. St Pete side of the causeway. Great fresh seafoods, to include live blue crabs and such. Mullet as well.

Also, a bit more of a drive, but a true St pete landmark:
    MASTRY's, on 9th Street in St Pete. A true locals landmark...known for his daily arrivals of fresh mullet. The fishermen still have their boots on when they stop in with their catch. (Killer tackle shop, too!!)

Tampa Bay is full of mullet! If you don't already, its time to learn to throw a cast net! ;)
    I wish you success!! :)
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Being from Pensacola, I know you would rather have the Nassau Grits. :)
  • smokinchickin
    Options
    Yes, I love any kind of grits and Nassau Grits are great.  Next to mullet, I love fresh oysters too! I was back in Pensacola Beach for the weekend and stopped by Peg Leg Pete's for an OYSTER PO BOY!!  Yum, they sure know how to make those babies.  I highly recommend that place; and the baked oysters are great too. This place is located right on Pensacola Beach; get there early.
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Go hit up any public pier and ask the locals throwing their nets to sell you some.

I was raised in gulf breeze and caught mullet for a living in high school. I had a chimerical license.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    And as for the net ban, I just painted the floats black and set them at night.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I grew up on the east coast of Florida where mullet are bait to catch good eating fish.