Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Users - Salmon Marinades??

Options
dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
All you sous vide pioneers - what different marinades/aromatics have you had luck with?  My first attempt was with salt, pepper, 3 thin slices of lemon for each piece, and a sprig of dill at 140 degrees.  It was great but want to try different marinades/aromatics to change things up.  Thanks in advance!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm fairly new to sous vide, but I've learned you don't want to add fat to the bag (butter, or oil in marinades) if you're also adding aromatics.  Most aromatics are fat soluble, and as a result, you can be pouring out much of that flavor with the juice in the bag.  That said, that juice is excellent for gravy and sauce.

I read somewhere fresh garlic, and I think they may be temperature dependent, can add a bad, bitter taste, and powdered/granulated is a better choice.  I don't know what temps make the bad garlic taste, but I'm sure it's something I'll pick up on.

I've gotten good infusion of aromatics so far.  I tend to use a lot of spices.  I've heard some people say they don't.  Either way, I always sear, and I spice before the sear, and depending on the spice, I try not to burn out the flavor.
    Options
    Thanks nola - I put short ribs in Tuesday night for dinner on Friday and I'm hoping they turn out as well as yours.  I did burgers on Tuesday and mixed in A1, Heinz 57, and worcestorshire prior to making the patties.  They were in for about 4 hours at 132, were perfect medium rare, but a bit mushy after the sear. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI