Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket for 60 people

Donwon9999Donwon9999 Posts: 25
edited August 2011 in Forum List
I have been asked to cook brisket for everyone at work, which is about 60 people.

I am familiar with cooking brisket so my questions are:

• How many pounds per person?  
  • I was going to cook 3 briskets on Sat and 3 on Sunday, the lunch is on Tuesday
  • How should I store the briskets?  Whole or cut?
  • How do you reheat them?  I have a gas bbq there to help out

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Don
·

Comments

• onedbguruonedbguru Posts: 651
    Occasionally we have a BBQ day at the office and they generally get 1lb per 3 people and that is usually sufficient - especially if they also get potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw (creamy)  and rolls/buns to go with it.  The BBQ place suggest 1lb per 5 people.  The ladies don't eat that much and some of the guys don't either (what is wrong with them), so we generally end up with still-here's. (you know - "it is STILL here!")

·
  • IQ2IQ2 Posts: 37
    I would love to know those answers too, I will be serving brisket for 40 hungry men next week at a customer's facility. I have the "cook ahead" plan, but not sure about the storage and reheat part. All suggestions are welcome!
    Paula West Texas
    ·
  • harpsharps Posts: 13
    1/4 # per person works for me

·
  • What is the best way to reheat the brisket? I've done several but they are never as good reheated as they are when it comes out of the cooler after resting but still warm.

·
  • IQ2IQ2 Posts: 37
    I often cook several and freeze them whole. I put them in a cooking bag first, then double wrap in foil before freezing. To reheat, pop in the oven at 350, or on the Egg. The cooking bag holds in all the moisture and the meat comes out nice and juicy. Nothing is as good as just cooked, but this works pretty well for a second choice.
    Paula West Texas
    ·
  • What's a cooking bag?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,269
    They're plastic bags that can handle the heat of an oven.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/295/cooking-bags.html

·
  • lots of ways to do it but I recommend not slicing until the big day. Brisket dries out so fast I just hate to slice them before they are ready to eat if you do slice before you eat, I recommend storing in a food saver bag and reheating in warm water for an hour or so before you serve

·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    I've had good luck saving in foodsaver bags (sliced) with a tablespoon of drippings per pound added to bag and reheating in hot water as suggested above. It works well with pork butts too.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,845
    You want to sauce even if its just beef broth when you reheat. I cooked ribs for my works t day and I worked from home that morning. A friend of mine brought his large to work and put up a canopy and did 2 roasts. Maybe set up at work and brings a tent?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,269
    This party's long over (2011).  Hope it went well.

cbr0011 was asking what cooking bags are.  Shake n bake.

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,845
    Oops.
    ·