Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Christmas gift?

I'm hinting to my wife to get me a top of the line thermometer for Christmas. What are some that y'all think is top of the line. Just getting tired of my Wal-Mart $7.98 special. Thanks for any suggestions....

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,475
    Instant read - Thermoworks Thermapen
    Dual channel monitoring: Thermoworks TW8060

Really top-of-the-line - Fluke 52 or 54

• BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Instant read - Thermoworks Thermapen
    Dual channel monitoring: Thermoworks TW8060
    Have you owned or used a Maverick 732? I've been waiting for a comparison review between the Mav et732 and TW8060. (I use the maverick 732 and I'm satisfied)

@Edeaux10 ; I use the Theroworks Thermapen and The Maverick ET-732

I love my thermapen and wouldn't want to cook without it! The Maverick works nice too, but I use it only for low and slow cooks.
    I don't have either.  I have a DigiQ, which does the same thing.

One guy reviewed both....that might be as good a comparison as you'll find.  Outside of the remote on the Maverick, you pretty much get what you pay for, and the Thermoworks is about twice as much, but it uses professional probes - thermocouples rather than thermistors.

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/review-of-the-maverick-et-732-wireless-barbecue-thermometer-set/

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/review-of-the-thermoworks-tw8060/

• LitLit Posts: 4,119
    Depends on what you mean by thermometer. Do you want an instant read or a leave in to monitor long cooks? Thermapen for instant read and for long cooks just break down and get a BBQ guru temperature control unit.
  • adajmkadajmk Posts: 10
    I just picked up a thermapen that is awesome.  It is the special edition one with the flames which is known to be the fastest one they make.

I also got a thermocouple 8060 as well. I really like them both, but they are not cheap. The two combined set me back over two hundred -but i am a new egger and having just destroyed a brisket  a few weeks ago, i figured these were good investments.

• Looking for one mainly for the longer cooks.
  • CyberQ then you can monitor and control Egg via Iphone or computer while away if need to.  I have one and LOVE IT
  • ttexxanttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    Here is my Cyber Q at work.  This is how it looks reading on my ipad Mini.  Had Cyber Q just reading Grill temp without meat probes in.  Set to 350 and reading at 350!!  LOVE IT!
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,505
    Do not get the Egg one that looks like a Thermapen,not the same.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now).