Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

More coffee talk....

Much talk about coffee rubs lately, and billyray posted this recipe yesterday:

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
  • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
  • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
  • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
  • 4 tsp. kosher salt
  • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

I made it today....with a few changes though:

I was low on ancho, so I used chipotle to make up the rest.

I just about doubled the amount of coffee. I used an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe ground very fine in a burr grinder'...a couple of clicks finer than I use for the espresso machine.   Next time, I might try a darker roast and grind a bit more coarse.

I used turbinado sugar in place of brown sugar.

I added some fresh ground nutmeg too....just cause I had a chunk lying on the counter from last nights egg nog. 

Did up some nice, thick, center cut pork chops with this rub tonight.....and billray is right.....it's the bomb! It's such a nice change from chili based rubs that smack you in the face with heat. This is a pretty mellow rub that has a very nice, well rounded flavor profile to it. 

Looking forward to trying it on some lamb chops and burgers very soon! 

Props to Mickey and billyray!

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,124
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,448
    I'm definitely going to incorporate the cocoa.  Thanks Billyray

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Hope you enjoy it Sir.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• I think I'm feeling verklempt!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
    sounds good. i need to give it a try.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • going to try it on a yard bird tonight
  • Yard bird turned out great with this rub. Going to make a bunch of it up and give bottles of it to my family for Christmas.
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Bookmarked, thanks guys. I will try this soon!