Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect set-up for my small Egg (suggestions pls)

Options

I know this question has been answered dozens of times but I couldn't find the threads.  I picked up a new to me small Egg about 6 weeks ago, only used it a couple times (back surgery 2 weeks ago, haven't done much of anything lately).  I'm feeling better now and want to be able to smoke on this thing but would like to see all my options.  As always, thanks for the wealth of knowledge.

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a platesetter and recently bought a small woo with 2 pizza stones from ceramicgrillstore.com. One stone for indirect, the other for pizza. I wish i hadn't bought the platesetter.
    Flint, Michigan
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    You can use a platesetter or the Ceramic Grill Store's Woo & 10" baking stone (or something else like a drip pan to create a heat barrier). Here's a link to the narrative on the Small Woo: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/small-a-mini-woo2.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks Fred.  I found this in an old thread of mine:  I already have Hi-Que grate... Do these other items cofrom the Ceramic Grill Store???

Hi-Que Grate
    Small Woo
    10" Stone
    13 " CI Grid

• Lowflyer
    Options
    With the Small Woo will my existing grate sit on top of it??
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Lowflyer said:

Thanks Fred.  I found this in an old thread of mine:  I already have Hi-Que grate... Do these other items cofrom the Ceramic Grill Store???

Hi-Que Grate
    Small Woo
    10" Stone
    13 " CI Grid

I bought my woo and stone from CGS. I purchased my 13" CI grid from a merchant on eBay as it was the best price I could find anywhere.

Since you're going to make a CGS purchase, pick up a spider too so you can sear right over the lump on your large.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    Lowflyer said:

With the Small Woo will my existing grate sit on top of it??

Yep!
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    $60.00 for the Woo...then $30.00 for the stone...OUCH!  Do these things ever go on sale or have coupon code? 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Lowflyer said:

$60.00 for the Woo...then $30.00 for the stone...OUCH!  Do these things ever go on sale or have coupon code? 

Just close your eyes and hit "process order". Works for me! :P

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    cazzy said:

Lowflyer said:

That's what i did. I wanted 2 stones. One dedicated for indirect & one for pizza. It was pricey, but I like the setup. The stones are great quality!
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    Options

cazzy said:

Lowflyer said:

That's what i did. I wanted 2 stones. One dedicated for indirect & one for pizza. It was pricey, but I like the setup. The stones are great quality!
    I agree completely...the stones are great in quality. Tom spent alot of time finding the perfect stone.
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    IT's done!!!  $103.00 later and the Small Woo and the stone are on the way... held off on the spider but I do need for my wok and searing down low.  Once I get this paid for I'll grab the spider and the 13" CI grate.  Thanks for the tips guys.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Good stuff! You'll love it! :)
  • Lowflyer
    Options
    Wow! Just got an email that the product has shipped. Pretty quick I'd say...
  • cazzy
    Options
    Lowflyer said:
    Wow! Just got an email that the product has shipped. Pretty quick I'd say...
    Tom has a great operation!  Superb customer service too!