Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to do first brisket Saturday for dinner company at 1800.

Kasey595
Kasey595 Posts: 20
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a USDA choice 11 pound boneless brisket. Looking to smoke indirect on an XL BGE. Looking for cooking temps and time suggestions for the cook. I am planning to just rub with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Should I marinate in a beer first for moisture retention? I am welcoming all suggestions as this is my first brisket cook. I have done butts and ribs and they have been wonderful just looking to expand my game. Also what wood would be the best to use? I have apple, hickory and pecan. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• This is what I did for a flat last time.  Should work the same for a whole. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141803/i-might-be-catching-on-to-this-cooking-brisket-flats#latest

Make certain you separate the point, cube it up, add some more rub and BBQ sauce, place into a pan and caramelize the sauce to the cubes.  Burnt ends are the bomb!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Cook at 300 dome.

I like either mesquite or hickory. Or both.

No need to marinade.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • You may want to consider doing a practice run before the dinner party.  Brisket is a awefully tough cook. Generally I'll always attempt a cook before I serve it to guests. Probably not what you're looking to hear, but just my two cents.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• IMHO, @Dave_in_Florida has it right. I ruined a few, the dog was very happy that I seemed to be cooking just for her, before discovering two steps. 
    First, after smoking for a couple of hours, you have to braise until final temp. Foil pan, dutch oven, two hub caps, whatever. 
    Second, rest period is FTC for at least an hour or two. 

As I became more experienced, and for brisket I am still a novice, I've done some that you just knew didn't need injection, the braise, or the FTC for a couple of hours, but the above noted by Dave works everytime. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • As others have said, brisket is a tough cook so its always good to practice a couple of times before you do it for real. 

Don't just cook it to temperature, do the fork test (no resistance) over several spots.  My experience is that undercooked brisket has the same taste (dry) and consistency (chewy) as overcooked brisket.

Good luck!  Give yourself plenty of time (like 22 hours just to be safe).
  • If you've never done one before, Travis's method is a good way to ensure results your guests will love. I don't have the link handy, but it's easy to find. The steps are well explained and hard to mess up.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    tip - ignore the point.  It's done when the flat is in the 200F range and tender.  The point, even though it's thicker, will cook faster because it's loaded with fat. 
  • You really do need to try one before you cook it for a large group...been cooking for two years and just got my first decent one off the egg.  I never had a problem on a horizontal smoker but the egg is a whole new experience...

I did one for a friend on my egg when i thought i had it figured out..put two on and after 18 hours i had two of the toughtest briskets ever seen... threw them out and have been giving them pulled pork for three months now until i get it figured out then i'll do another one for them...

Best advice is to go with hamburgers, steak, or chicken until you have one you test your method and results...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• ttexxan
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    Actually I have never had a problem and here is my method. I first get home as wash off brisquit. Then coat with mustard and then heave rub on!! I use Butt Rub its better than dizzy IMO and gives great flavor. I then set in fridge overnight but don't have to. Then get grill ready. I fill egg up to Max level with wood chunks in middle and then add more coal and then wood chunks again. Use whatever wood you like. I put plate setter for in direct and then put a pan of apple juice underneath with squirts of whistichire in pan along with Butt Rub. Just sprinkle bunch in there. I set grill up for nice and slow about 200 degrees. I would estimate about 13-15 hrs on that brisquit to internal temp if 185. The internal temp of meat best judgment for me IMO!! I use two meat probes!! Once gets close to around 170 I wrap in foil and then use a beef buion cube along with couple table spoons of wisthishire with water. I only use a small amount about 1/2 cup water. Drench over top and then wrap up wit the foil and leave on grill till 185. Once done leave in foil and wrap in towel and let sit at least 1hr hour in cooler. You can keep in towel if finish early in cooler for longer and will keep warm.
    I have done several this way and turns out amazing with no issues. Everyone comments on how good!! Make sure to place on grill fat side up.
    It's all about doing it slow and make sure watch meat temp!!