Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast Iron Grate

Just got my new cast iron gate and looking forward to using it this weekend. Does the CI become my new everyday grate, or are there times that it is better to still use the factory grate?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 8,336
    I only using my CI grid when I sear. Every other cook, I use the stock grid. I'm sure you can make it your everyday grid but I use it when I need good heat retention.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,195
    edited December 2012
    The SS grid is easier to move around, so I use it the most, much like the "Mad Minnesotan Mud Duck", I use my CI primarily for searing. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I got a cast iron grate when my Egg was new. I have never used the standard grate.

Tim