Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fajitas too chewy

I made some skirt steak marinated in soy sauce brown sugar and Obie que fajita rub for about 12 hrs. Flavor was great but they were too chewy. I cooked to about 135 on thermapen . Any ideas how to make them not so,chewey?
·

Comments

• Skirt steak is not a real tender cut of meat.  Slice it thin.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • very thin and cut across the grain.   that's the best you can do.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

·
  • mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    I had the exact same experience 2 weeks ago. Great flavor and it looked perfect just like a medium rare steak should be. The wife and I were excited but let down by the texture. The first piece I cut was kind if thick and I could hardly chew it. I then made the slices paper thin and got better results. That said, I won't use this type of meat again for fajitas or tacos.
    ·
  • mb99zz said:
    That said, I won't use this type of meat again for fajitas or tacos.
    I switched to flap steak a long time ago.  I still slice it thin.
    Another reason for the switch is that skirt steak has gotten expensive with the popularity of fajitas.  It used to be a really cheap cut of meat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Cook it very hot and fast and make it rare to medium rare.  Its the best you can do with shoe leather.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,838
    I sous vide mine and then sear seems to help alot.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,861
    Great meal.  Sometimes if there is any citrus in the marinade and it is left much longer than 4-6 hours the citrus will have a tendency to "cook" the meat and thereby rendering it tuff.
    ·
  • Cut it thin, across the grain and on a 45 degree angle, it'll be great.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·