Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redneck Turkey

Options
A little video on my Thanksgiving turkey this year...

Be easy on me.  A lot of people have very different opinions/passions/traditions around their Turkey dinner.  This is just one man humbly sharing his recipe.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXC12DodR-E&list=UUxeiT2Hr3Ez3zdOaEoGwNEw&index=1&feature=plcp

Fuzzy's Redneck Turkey

The following recipe is a demonstration on how to prepare my Redneck Turkey on a Big Green Egg.

Fair Warning: This Turkey won't win a pageant...but it will take any taste test...any day. ABORT this recipe if you plan on impressing your friends will a centerpiece turkey.

Your comments, questions, and concerns are welcome...and I'd appreciate it if you would share your experience or tweaks to this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 Large Whole Turkey
1 Large Aluminum Roasting Pan
1 Jar of Creole Butter Injection
1 Bottle of Vegetable Spread
Olive Oil
2-3 bottles of Poultry Rub (1 type or many)
Maple Wood Chips
Chicken Broth 

Pairs With: Your bird should be juicy enough...but make some gravy or use the drip pain juices to render your own gravy if you must.

Suggested Side(s):
Mac 'N Cheese
Green-beans
Broccoli Casserole
Stuffing (or Dressing)
Sweet Potato Souffle 
Mashed Potatoes 
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Eggnog 
Can you tell it's the holidays!?

Method Of Cooking:
Big Green Egg (other smoker or grill) on a vertical roasting stand placed in an aluminum roaster (as your drip pan). Place the standing bird (in pan) directly on your cast iron grate...which will be placed directly on the coals (no fire ring). Fill your aluminum roaster with 32 ounces of Chicken Broth. Large amount of Natural Lump Charcoal at 180-220 degrees for 40-60 minutes per pound (cook times will vary based on Egg temperature and Turkey size).

If you do not have a vertical roasting stand... place the bird on a V-Rack with the breasts facing up... OR... skip the Chicken Broth in the Aluminum Roaster and lay flat in there.

Total Cook/Prep Time: 45:10:00...10 minutes of prep, 24 hours to brine, 21 hours for cooking (if your bird is 27 pounds... otherwise 40-60 minutes per pound...or 165-180 internal temperature) ...basically two seasons of 24.

Feeds: 20 lumberjacks, 27 "growing boys", or 35 people.

Go with an 8-12 pound Turkey for a family dinner.

Leftovers? Refrigerate turkey and make turkey and cheese sliders in your toaster oven. When you're approaching 1 week after the big event...use turkey to make a white-turkey chili to warm you up.

Comments