Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Some vs grill temp

I see a lot where people talking about using their dome temp on long cooks. Would it not be better to have probe near meat more ie clip to grill beside meat?? Would that not give a truer temp and not overheat or under heat where meat actual cooking

Comments

•  For long cooks I always monitor at the grill level.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,241
    For indirect cooks, many people use the grate temp.  Typically that's where I clip my DigiQ probe.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,479

Since all BGE's have the dome thermo and that is the only given indicator that is "standard" most recipes unlerss otherwise specified refer to the dome thermo.  Besides,any temperature reading is a measure of what is going on inside the BGE.  As long as you know the way the BGE cooks with whatever temperature you use, and you cook to finish temp, it really doesn't make any difference.  I'm sure the location/temperature gradient inside the BGE has as many variables as thermos you could install.  Just recognize that on indirect cooks generally the grid will run 20-40*F lower than the dome when you start out and the longer the dome is shut the closer they get to equilibrium.

Louisville