Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Is your Big Green Egg still cooking even though it’s cold out? We hope so! We love the opportunity to cook heartier meals on the EGG during the winter. Some recipes you definitely want to try are Double Smoked Potatoes, BBQ Chicken Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwich and Breakfast Quiche. These are sure to keep your stomach warm & full! We can’t wait to see what winter-inspired dishes you cook!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

First time shoulder

vol_fanvol_fan Posts: 9
First of all, thanks for all of the advice I have picked up just from being on here. This place is such a good resource for people new to egging. Now to my question... I did a shoulder for the first time last week, small 4 lb rubbed in mustard, cowboy rub and then refrigerated overnight. 225-260 (still working on the temp control) at the grate for about 8 hours and then let it rest for an hour. It gave me a great bark, was very tender and had good flavor around the bark but the inside didn't have much flavor. I only used about 2 chunks of hickory, would this be part of the issue as well? Thanks in advance for all the help.
Middle Tennessee, large BGE. Go Big Orange!

Comments

• GramblerGrambler Posts: 147
    You can inject it. Lots of folks have tried injecting with Italian dressing and seem to really love it. Could also be just a bland piece of meat.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,920
    gorgeous.  Look up "pulled pork finishing sauce recipe".  This sauce give the inside FU-LAV-AH.

• You can mix in some rub after it's pulled.
  • I just chop up the bark and mix thoroughly.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,920
    I just chop up the bark and mix thoroughly.
    For that reason, it seems I can't make the bark salty enough.

• I meant to say I chop the bark to a small dice.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Looks good and appears you have a nice smoke ring. You can chop it all up and mix it to get that smoke flavor all through.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I don't know why I didn't think about chopping the bark up better and mixing it in more. I may try injecting as well and see how we think that stacks up. Thanks again everyone.
    Middle Tennessee, large BGE. Go Big Orange!