Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trimmed and rubbed the brisket, but had to cancel the cook.

I was all ready to smoke a trimmed and rubbed 10 pound brisket, but at the last minute we got word that my wife's grandfather had died.  I just vacuum sealed the brisket and threw it into the freezer.  I have frozen briskets before and never had a problem, but never one that has already been rubbed.

Comments

• didn't finish my question.  My question is do yo think it will be okay?  Should I defrost the brisket a certain way?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sorry about your wife's grandfather. 

It'll be fine.  You can thaw in the fridge (might take 2 days) or throw it in some water to thaw quick (few hours).

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Never thought about cooking a frozen brisket before.  I guess since it's already been rubbed it might work.  I probably won't do it, but maybe in the future I'd try it out.
  • My condolences, on your wife's grandfather.  All the best to the family.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • I worked at a quasi-upscale BBQ restuarant when I was in highschool.  The Countyline.  I did the backroom with the pits once a week for maybe a year or so.  Had no idea what I was doing, just did what I was told.  You know, it was a process they had.

Anyways, at the end of the night, I would put about 20 briskets on the revolving pits.  I think you could put about 6 briskets on a rack, and there might have been 12 racks that revolve inside the pit, they had 3 pits.

Anyways, the briskets were put on FROZEN and the rub was put on just prior to putting on the rack!!  Just a simple salt-n-pepper rub, I believe, but it was their branded rub.

I have no idea what the day crew did to the brisket, but that was my part in it......

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've put stuff on frozen before.  You get a hell of a smoke ring.
    I've put stuff on frozen before.  You get a hell of a smoke ring.
    I bet you do!