Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Charcoal spark observation.

Hey all,

I am sure everyone has had the occasional lump charcoal that seemed extra sparky?  I assumed it was because I was using a lower price brand, Best of the West, at the time, but today (and yesterday) I noticed it with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.  I have observed one thing about most of the times this has happened - the specific piece of lump was shiny instead of dull. 

Yesterday, I was cooking a few chicken breasts, I waited until the exhaust was clear smoke, and put the chicken on.  After I had the chicken on for a bit, I started to notice a lot of sparkage, and the smoke went white again.  When I went to check the temperature on the chicken I noticed a layer of soot was now on the chicken.  I thought maybe it was my platesetter being particularly dirty; I cleaned the platesetter at 600 for about 30 minutes. 

Today I was cooking a tri tip and the fire was still especially sparking, and popping, I figured it would burn out a bit.  I then removed the piece of shiny lump that I noticed yesterday, the sparking stopped instantly.  I am writing this to let people know if you see an shiny piece of lump and then once you start the fire it is popping and cracking - consider removing the shiny piece of lump.

Comments