Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

What Do You Egg On Your Birthday?

Do you go with a favorite or try something new? We're at the age where the only thing worse than another birthday is not another birthday. Favorites are grilled or spatchcock chicken, pulled pork, ribs, and pizza. But we're in the mood for something new, something epic, profound, eclectic, etc. Got my Egg t-shirt on and am going to head out here shortly and see what I can rustle up around the local markets. Might just go burger .......
·

Comments

• mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
    edited December 2012
    Salmon or some other kind of fish maybe?  I did some Salmon the other night with a Soy Sauce marinade that turned out quite nicely.  Not epic though :)   Happy birthday BTW!!!!
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,453
    Happy B day. If my birthday was December 1 it would be stone crabs. I know, it's nothing to do with the egg but they are some good eats. Garlic crab legs and grilled lobster with a salad is my September birthday dinner.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • I smoked a prime rib the other day and it was absolutely incredible.
    ·
  • SteveWPBFLSteveWPBFL Posts: 1,272
    I'm headin' toward umami burger with the recipe below but wondering where to get fish sauce?

ingredients:

• 2 lbs Ground Beef
    • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce (for more daring, savory depth, use 2 tablespoons)
    • 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
    • 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
    • 1 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
    • 4-6 Hamburger buns
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,033
    They should have fish sauce in the Asian section of any grocery store.

·
    Better yet, landed at an Asian grocery store! Got a few extras. This fish sauce is from Viet Nam. And picked up some chipotles in adobo sauce that Publix did not have last week. Going to make a few umami out of beef and a few out of ground turkey. Tomorrow. 
    photo (8).JPG 143.3K
    ·
    edited December 2012
    Awesome.  People around here (big Vietnamese community) call that sriracha sauce "Vietnamese Ketchup".  We use it all the time.  Good stuff.

·
  • I smoked a prime rib the other day and it was absolutely incredible.
    How did you go about doing it?  I'm thinking about doing this for Christmas.
    ·
    We've gone away from beef over the years but remember that you could cook them just about any way you want and they'll turn out fine if you cook to a desired internal temperature. I used to pan sear them then throw them in the oven. Now I would maybe do that and throw on a rub and roast it low and slow to what, 128F IT? There's a ton of posts on here about that. 

What do you Egg for YOUR birthday?
    ·
  • I'm not sure whether I'd try something new, but it would be an overnighter followed by cooking lots of different things on the second day of the weekend.
    ·
  • Tomorrow is my 32nd bday. Im doing Griffins braised short ribs tonight. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Happy birthday, Travis !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    @travisstrick - happy birthday, dude!  Don't spill your white russian!

·
  • Happy Birthday Guys !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • My B-day dinner has been grilled Salmon, asparagus with hollandaise & some foiled potatoes with onion , butter etc. since I was about 12. Mother asked me what I wanted and that's what I came up with. Everyone agreed it was a great choice and that I had good taste. Last year I got a large egg for my B-day from my wife so I didn't ge to make it. This May I will make it and post pics. I can't wait seeing how I brushed 3 inches of snow off my egg tonight before firing it up!
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Wife's birthday today I made her a Thai Green curry in a CI skillet on the egg. Cheated and used sauce from TJ. She loves the smell of the egg smoke says I don't need cologne so I added some cherry chunks. Lol Happy Birthday Guys! For my birthday it will be Prime Rib.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Happy Birthday @SteveWPBFL and @travistrick!!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • thechief96thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Tomorrow is my 32nd bday. Im doing Griffins braised short ribs tonight. 

Today is my birthday too...though i'm a weeeeeeee bit older

Thinking about salmon and tri-tip

Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
    ·
  • SMITTYtheSMOKERSMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,316
    edited December 2012
    Happy birthday to Steve, Travis and the Chief!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • Happy Birthday to all !!.  It will change before then but as of now, two things I haven't tried yet.  Meatloaf and Mac & Cheese.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • RzeancakRzeancak Posts: 155
    Happy birthday all.  No one talks much about doing a lamb in the Egg.  We love lamb and we love the Egg so it a family fav around here
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    How did you go about doing it?  I'm thinking about doing this for Christmas.

it didn't to me look like anyone answered your question so i will. now some people do this backward they smoke first then sear but i am a sear first kind of guy. max explains how i do it in this link

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

i hope this helps you. standing rib roasts are cheap here during christmas so i usually pick one up for new year ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • Happy birthday to Steve, Travis and Chief.

For my birthday it's stuff that the rest of the family won't eat. Lamb, duck or marinated and grilled provimi beef liver.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,871
    Last bday I had a party and we decided to do carne asada tacos, I love just tending to the Egg.. so it was a fun cook.  I did the carne in a marinade, then had the tacos and fixings, I roasted the tortilla's on the egg too. 

Good luck, and happy bday folks.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Happy B-Day guys! For me, I wouldn't be surprised if I cook something different each year. The consistent thing would be using an Egg for the cook.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • BullibeBullibe Posts: 132
    Tomorrow is my 32nd bday. Im doing Griffins braised short ribs tonight. 
    Happy Birthday, Travis !
    Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
    ·