Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza set up

Hello all
My family is waiting for a delicious pizza from the egg, but I just realized I don't know the proper set up for cooking pizza!
Do I put the plate setter legs up and put pizza stone on silver grate, or plate setter legs down and pizza stone on top of that???

Comments

• Either way will work, legs up is easier on your gasket ! It seems to be better the higher you can get your pizza stone. And preheat the stone for at least a half hour before you put a pizza on it.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I do PS legs up with the grill on top, then 3- 2 1/2" fire bricks with the pizza stone on top to raise it in the dome a little. Cook it at 550°-600° giving at least 30 minutes for the temp to stabilize and to heat the stone evenly. I put the pizza on parchments for the first 5 minutes, then pull the parchment and rotate the pizza 180° for even cooking. Then check at 12-15 minutes until I think it's ready. Good luck, take out pizza will never be the same.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Thanks everyone. The pizza was amazing! I made semi circle pizzas so I could do two different kinds at once. I baked at 650 for about 8 minutes with apple wood smoke.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    They look great! Great color!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

I'm a fan of leg setters down, feet then stone. Agree with recommendation that pizza stone must be pre-heated at least 30 minutes prior. I use a infared thermometer to get stone to minimum 500 degrees.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• @Raymont - my set-up as well... nice looking pie. SWMBO likes the bread style crust, great cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!