Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Charcoal spark observation.

Hey all,

I am sure everyone has had the occasional lump charcoal that seemed extra sparky?  I assumed it was because I was using a lower price brand, Best of the West, at the time, but today (and yesterday) I noticed it with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.  I have observed one thing about most of the times this has happened - the specific piece of lump was shiny instead of dull. 

Yesterday, I was cooking a few chicken breasts, I waited until the exhaust was clear smoke, and put the chicken on.  After I had the chicken on for a bit, I started to notice a lot of sparkage, and the smoke went white again.  When I went to check the temperature on the chicken I noticed a layer of soot was now on the chicken.  I thought maybe it was my platesetter being particularly dirty; I cleaned the platesetter at 600 for about 30 minutes. 

Today I was cooking a tri tip and the fire was still especially sparking, and popping, I figured it would burn out a bit.  I then removed the piece of shiny lump that I noticed yesterday, the sparking stopped instantly.  I am writing this to let people know if you see an shiny piece of lump and then once you start the fire it is popping and cracking - consider removing the shiny piece of lump.

Comments