Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Setting Question

When placing an egg in a table, is it better to let the egg rest on a slab of granite or use the feet and have a space underneath  (or does it make a difference?)

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    both.  You want an air gap and you don't want anything flammable like wood under that air gap because it gets damn hot.
    If you get the nest, it raises it up high enough so wood would probably be ok.  The feet don't.  You don't need granite, you can just use some tiles or bricks.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Not having a table and still cooking in the nest, I second Nola's suggestion.  But I have another question...once your table is built, how the hell do you drop the egg into the hole?  Must take 4 guys.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • TN_Egger said:
    Not having a table and still cooking in the nest, I second Nola's suggestion.  But I have another question...once your table is built, how the hell do you drop the egg into the hole?  Must take 4 guys.
    Easy....just disassemble the whole thing. I took out all the internal parts, took the lid off, and simply set the base in the table....then put it all back together. No help required.

Or, some people have reported good luck with using a device called a pot lifter....you can buy them on Amazon. I'm cheap, and impatient...so I took mine apart!