Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-Maze-N Smoker?

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone use this thing? Need a cold smoke generator and I prefer something like this over the paint can option. Thoughts?
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• I had both at one time (pellets and dust).  I had better luck with the dust.  Todd stands by his product and they are made very well.
  • carter422 said:
    I had both at one time (pellets and dust).  I had better luck with the dust.  Todd stands by his product and they are made very well.
    Thanks. Are you still using them?
  • I have both the cylinder and the tray. The cylinder holds a lot of pellets and rolls around so I prefer the tray. For cold smoking it works great and smolders for hours. I fill it with pellets and then set it on the grid or my Traeger or Weber and cold smoke nuts and cheese. Works great. You do need a blow torch to light it and I've found that you really want to fire up the start or it will self-extinguish.

I've tried adding it to low and slow cooks for extra smoke. It kind of works but tends to snuff out after awhile.
  • I should add that it is much cheaper to by pellets intended for pellet grills like the Traeger which cost ~$1 per lb.
  • I should add that it is much cheaper to by pellets intended for pellet grills like the Traeger which cost ~$1 per lb.

good call! I don't need it for low and slow. I just need it to for cold smoke. For $40 I'll give it a rip. Thanks for the input. I'll get the pellet version and that way I can dust or pellets.
  • Not everyone likes smoked cheese but I could take a relatively cheap block of Wisconsin cheddar, smoke it, and I can't stop eating it. Have to be careful with that.
  • Will see if this works:

• That's a lot of smoke. Should fill an egg nicely. Just what I'm looking for. Thanks so much
  • That is > 1hr of smoke so you can get a sense of how long a full load of pellets will last. Most of the time, you don't need a full load.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited December 2012
    Just an observation as I use the tin can/soldering iron method.  It seems easy to over smoke cheeses.  I have found that using lesser quantities of chips (shorter smoking time) allows the flavor of the wood to come through versus just a heavy smoke taste.  Don't know if this holds true with the AMZN unit.  Maybe Jerold can comment.  It would also be nice to not have to run wires out to the smoker.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I have been looking at this as well and am thinking of taking the plunge.  How much heat does this give off?  Obviously its meant for cold smoking, but is there a way to control the heat?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • I have been looking at this as well and am thinking of taking the plunge.  How much heat does this give off?  Obviously its meant for cold smoking, but is there a way to control the heat?
    From what I have seen, no way to control the heat but it does not give off very much
  • Yeah, I guess as long as the temp does not go above 90 or 100 then its considered a cold smoke. 
    Never seen a minimum temp for cold smoking.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • I don't have either anymore.  I used them with an electric smoker.  I don't have that either, but for what you are wanting to use it for it should work nicely.
    carter422 said:
    I had both at one time (pellets and dust).  I had better luck with the dust.  Todd stands by his product and they are made very well.

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited December 2012
    I've heard many good things about them on other forums. I've been meaning to get one for the last few years....jest never seem to get around to it. Maybe one of these days??
  • OK- I'm in. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm using it for bacon. Don't love the results from the hot smokes I do now. It's good, just think it could be better
  • cool.....I'll be interested in seeing how the bacon turns out. I have a belly in the freezer....just waiting on some inspiration!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For bacon, it's not as critical as it is for fish where you can't go over 90F or you change the texture of the flesh.  You could just put a few chunks of lump in a coffee or paint can with some holes poked in it, add some chips in with that.  I think you could get a lot of smoke and keep it under 120F or so.  That said, that A-maze-n-smoker is a pretty ingenious little tool.  You'd definitely get a colder smoke.
    How would you use this in an Egg? Would you empty out the firebox, put it on the grate with the bottom door slightly open and light it up?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Greeno55 said:
    How would you use this in an Egg? Would you empty out the firebox, put it on the grate with the bottom door slightly open and light it up?

sure. I'm all ears :) I'll stuff it in there somehow. door open? Closed? in the firebox? I dunno until I see it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just stick it in there - on your old coals, under a heat shield.  Just don't let it light the old lump if it's sitting on top.  It's just a smoke source, but it generates a little heat so you can put the plate setter or whatever between it and your food.  For bacon, probably doesn't make any difference.   The smoke is like air - it will find its way into every nook and cranny in your egg.
    Just ordered one of the 12" round ones. Will use it to cold smoke fish and cheese in my master built smoker. I will not turn the smoker on, just the a-mazen-smoker lit. I'll post results in the future.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I know it's not on an Egg, but it's a pretty good demonstration and review. It really doesn't seem to produce too much heat at all. Having it low in the box, and raised grill, I can't see too much heat hitting the food. That said, a PS may still be beneficial. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EWmVcyWYXnI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=EWmVcyWYXnI
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • For the egg, just set it on the grate. It will generate plenty of smoke.

I have not been able to over smoke cheese yet. 1-2 hours is plenty.

It seems to give off almost zero heat.  Don't know that I would put it in a black steel grill in the summer with a block of cheese, but for most of the year in Wisconsin it is no problem.

One of my friends likes to cold smoke meats like pork chops that usually cook too quick to take on much smoke. He will cold smoke the chop and later grill it. He says it turns out good but I have not tried it yet.

I smoked some Munster cheese tonight. It was really good. We shredded some of it for the top of mac and cheese that was finished in the oven. Baking it seemed to take out all the smoke but eating the cheese straight was very smoky in a good way.
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    I bought one a couple of months ago....have smoked a lot of cheese with great results.....I use the dust and it burns for hours,,,can't detect any heat.....light it with MAPP gas....anything that'll hold smoke will work...cardboard box, old cooler, etc
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i dont cold smoke but i saw this.  attaches to the egg.

Cold Smoke III

http://www.mycoldsmoke.com/

• I got this little setup yesterday and it is awesome for the $. I used Traeger apple pellets and cold smoked some bacon last night. This thing went 14 hours straight and chugged along all night. It only raised the temp of the egg by around 8-9 degrees over outside temp. Very pleased. Super simple but perfect for what I needed. Highly recommended. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos I cleaned out my firebox and placed the smoker on the fire grate. With my AR indirect setup I had 2 Racks of belly going. It was the perfect set up for cold smoking. Loved it.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Cen-tex do you just light the one corner?
    Lynnwood WA