Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Duck on Friday

AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
Roasted a whole duck on Friday. I found a few websites promoting a 5 hour cook.....saying how tender the duck comes out, while the fat renders out and the skin gets crispy. I figured I'd give it a whirl.

I made a bunch of slits in the skin and fat, while being being careful to not cut the meat. Got the egg going to 300° grate, and put the roasting pan in, breast side up. I also threw in a bunch of black cherry wood chips.

You pull the duck out every hour and drain the fat from the roasting pan. Then flip the duck over, and return for another hour. Keep doing this for 4 hours, then up the temp, and finish roasting to crisp up the skin in the last hour.

Turned out pretty well.....the breast was a bit dry, but the skin was soo good and crispy. There's only one thing better than pork fat......and that's duck fat!
Had a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin ale with the duck. Not as good as the Smashed Pumpkin I had on Turkey day that was aged in a bourbon barrel though!

I roasted some small yukon potatoes  in some of the fat, and made a cherry rosemary sauce to serve with the duck. Got the  sauce recipe online somewhere.....food network.

Comments