Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emu Fillet

Found an Emu fan fillet in the freezer the other day, so decided we'd have it tonight.

I tied it up to help it cook evenly as it's kind of a funky shape. After tying, I sprinkled on some DP Cow Lick rub.

Got the egg up to 550° dome, and put the fillet on. I pulled it off at 145° based on some internal temps I found online. Let it rest for a few, and then sliced. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I'd rush out to buy another one.....too lean for my tastes.

Had a green salad and some farro with it.

After dinner I had a nice Imperial coffee stout and a smoke:

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Emu, that's that ostrich-looking thing, right?
    From the third pic it looked surprisingly juicy and delicious, sorry it wasn't good.  
    :(

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Yeah....I think it looks like an ostrich?

It wasn't bad.....it just didn't knock my socks off. If I were to do one again, I'd look to marinade it in something. It's extremely lean, there was no marbling what-so-ever.
  • AleBrewer said:
    Yeah....I think it looks like an ostrich?

It wasn't bad.....it just didn't knock my socks off. If I were to do one again, I'd look to marinade it in something. It's extremely lean, there was no marbling what-so-ever.

Ostritch and emu have to be done rare. They are super lean but can be cooked like steak. 125-130 or it's sawdust. When done right, they are really good but most people can't wrap their head around cooking a bird to rare.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    AleBrewer said:

Ostritch and emu have to be done rare. They are super lean but can be cooked like steak. 125-130 or it's sawdust. When done right, they are really good but most people can't wrap their head around cooking a bird to rare.
    Rare (or medium rare) is how I like my duck breast.

• AleBrewer said:

My original plan was to cook until 130°, and pull them to rest for 10-15 min. I was poking around on the web, and found recommended temps of 145°-155° for a med rare to light medium.

It wasn't that it was dry, it just didn't have much flavor to me. This is the first time I've ever had emu.....so I didn't know what to expect. If I were to do it again, I'd look to marinade it to give it a bit more flavor.