Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Enameled Cast Iron

Options
As the BGE Dutch Ovens are not sold in Ontario, has anyone ever tried using the coloured enamel ironware in the BGE?
Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    i think some have but most of those are only good to 450 degrees . do a search on google (cast iron dutch oven) you will find tons i bet you can get .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I bought a Lodge 9 Qt CI DO from Amazon. Fits great in my LBGE and makes some tasty chilli, can't wait to use it more this winter
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Hard to beat Lodge for the egg. Keep it seasoned and it cleans up easily. Don't need the one with legs. I bought an inexpensive electric induction burner that I use outdoors next to the egg. Works great with cast iron adjacent to the egg. Enameled is nice but I'm not sure it is worth the extra expense.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    I was dying to to make some chile and pot roast thats been posted here lately. So I went to Target not to far from me, but  they just had the enamel one made by Lodge. It works good, easy to clean. I got the 6 Qt. for $60, on the Lodge site he list for $105. If I had orderd it the shipping would cost has much as the D O. :)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    My wife won't let me use our Le Creuset DOs on my Egg, but I think there might be a cleaning issue.  With CI, you can just clean it with a sponge and water and not have to make it shine.

Certainly, you can get CI DO's in Cannukistan, can't you?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    I use a cuisnart ECI DO all the time. No issues.

It builds up some pretty heavy soot which I don't clean often. When I do, a 5 min soak in oxyclean gets it ALL off with very little elbow grease.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited December 2012
    Options
    TIP: If you put a thin coating of dishwashing liquid on the outside of the enamel-coated D.O., before putting it on the Egg, it'll clean off easy-peasy, once you're done cooking.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use my enameled kitchenaid DOs on the egg all the time and I also use my le creuset enameled skillet to blacken fish all the time. I have had my enameled skillet to at least 700 on my mini and it is fine.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    I've used one on my egg.  No issues 450 temp indirect.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Little Steven
    Options
    I use my le Creuset all the time. Canadian Tire often has the Kitchenaid stuff on half price too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    L S what's this ?, you buy a set of tires and they throw in a set of pots and pans for 1/2 price.  Can you buy stamps there also.  :)